Bonaire accident issues Close Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will join the others in saying that I am pleased to hear that this all had a happy ending. However, if I paused to take a "safety stop" after Mrs. Stoo had an incident like that, I'd be in the hospital too, the result of the beat-down she'd have unleashed on me! Seriously though, I think I would have risked a hit in this case.

I'm interested in knowing more about her profile... of that dive, and of preceding days. Was DCS confirmed, or was she run as a precaution?

And again, I am very happy that your wife is fine. Thanks for posting and reminding us that complacency can kill.

Most parts of a regulator are designed to contain and control gas under pressure. But some parts have the primary job of keeping water out. The symptoms described including continued fluttering sound on inhale make me suspect a torn or dislodged diaphragm or exhaust valve. Dislodged often means not correctly assembled.

The fluttery sound is fairly common when the 2nd stage level is loose though. At least on dry land, not in the water.

Not surprised a 20yo 2nd stage diaphragm just ripped. Its not in the standard rebuilt kit so it gets ignored by less than diligent techs.

Guys I just don't know at this point. She was breathing fine and all of a sudden she inhaled water. My first guess is a first stage main spring or diaphragm failure... a regulator is basic mechanics, but even when maintained, although rare, basic mechanics can fail and does have a shelf life. .

Normally, water gets in via a torn or bent exhaust diaphragm, but I think it would be unlikely that this would suddenly happen, although it's certainly possible I guess.

Regarding servicing, I started a thread about my adventures with newly serviced regs and it seems that "failure" to some degree or another is quite common following servicing.

I'm interested in knowing more about her profile... of that dive, and of preceding days. Was DCS confirmed, or was she run as a precaution?

Post 53 describes here symptoms and it does appear that she had DCS or more likely an AGE. Since they resolved with treatment which is really the only objective measure of was it DCS or something else.

Post 53 describes here symptoms and it does appear that she had DCS or more likely an AGE. Since they resolved with treatment which is really the only objective measure of was it DCS or something else.
Odd sort of diagnosis, anyway.
"4) Diagnosis- Near drowning/DCS/Bent"
Since DCS=Bent, it is kind of redundant. DCI/Bent would have made more sense, or AGE/Bent.

Odd sort of diagnosis, anyway.
"4) Diagnosis- Near drowning/DCS/Bent"
Since DCS=Bent, it is kind of redundant. DCI/Bent would have made more sense, or AGE/Bent.
Yes agree. Not sure the OP distinguished DCI from AGE in her case. Glad it wasn't worse, most AGE's have a poor prognosis.

Not surprised a 20yo 2nd stage diaphragm just ripped. Its not in the standard rebuilt kit so it gets ignored by less than diligent techs.

I am a bit surprised that such a failure occurred assuming the reg was stored in proper conditions.

I am quite surprised that early signs of such a problem were not detected during a service. I guess you could examine the rest of the diaphragm for signs of degradation which I would expect to find if the problem were age related. That would be a failure mode that I would expect would be found in a good inspection before such a catastrophic failure could occur.

Thook,

Glad to hear that your wife survived her ordeal without permanent harm. I for one would be interested in an analysis of the cause of her equipment failure, maybe done by the LDS that has serviced the equipment over the years. I dive vintage equipment, that is to say regulators made in the 1950s and 1960s, heck even my modern regulator is 30 years old. I rebuild my equipment regularly and have never had a catastrophic failure at depth. Much could be learned by the diving community if you would have your wife's regulator examined and post the results. Again, the important thing is that no one's life was lost and no permanent harm done.

The torn diaphragm that you mention is from the second stage, primary use unit (not octo), correct? All rubber/silicone parts are subject to wear and should be changed on a regular basis, this includes diaphragms. Do you know when the diaphragm was last replaced?

Last edited:
The torn diaphragm that you mention is from the second stage, primary use unit (not octo), correct? All rubber/silicone parts are subject to wear and should be changed on a regular basis, this includes diaphragms. Do you know when the diaphragm was last replaced?

How often should a 2nd stage diaphragm be changed?

I do inspect all of my gear, including 2nd stage diaphragms, on a regular basis but only replace the diaphragm if there is some indication of a problem. I do have spare diaphragms for most of our regs but have not had to replace any in the last 20+ years. The diaphragms on my 40 Y/O pilots show no sign of deterioration.

Thook,

Glad to hear that your wife survived her ordeal without permanent harm. I for one would be interested in an analysis of the cause of her equipment failure, maybe done by the LDS that has serviced the equipment over the years. I dive vintage equipment, that is to say regulators made in the 1950s and 1960s, heck even my modern regulator is 30 years old. I rebuild my equipment regularly and have never had a catastrophic failure at depth. Much could be learned by the diving community if you would have your wife's regulator examined and post the results. Again, the important thing is that no one's life was lost and no permanent harm done.

I'd love to see some pics of the diaphragm and tear before it goes in the trash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom