Bonaire tide question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hire a local dive guide for the east side. It is worth the money. They know all the tricks and secrets.

Tides at one location might be just a simple combination of lunar and solar cycles and forcing, but predicting a different location's tides is a art. The tide is actually a wave sloshing around a basin, and it goes slower when it feels the bottom. So in really shallow, variable topography (like Bonaire's coasts) you can get radical departures from the tides times that are nearby, and the delays change as the combination of lunar and solar cycles changes.

Where does one find these 'local guides' that actually know what they are doing on the east side....NOT from a boat?

As I've clearly stated, not so long ago it seemed no one at all knew how to dive the east side, or at least they weren't telling. I've been diving Bonaire since 1995. Got a few dives there.

Bas tol east coast shore diving is the only person I would go with. If your there and catch a day where the wind is reversed or not blowing ( not often) it's doable. When I was there last week 2 divers had to be rescued and hospitalized after trying to shore dive on the east side

... If (big if) there ever is an inbound current I'm not at all sure how you would predict or depend on it. It's not like the channel is the only way into the Lac Bay. On an inbound tide you have a very long shallow dam (the reef) that water, both waves and the inbound current can go right over > filling the Bay. That water has to get out, and it'll go out the channel I would think, likely cancelling any tidal push in. I don't know that, but I'm trying to picture the water forces working there and I don't come up with a reliable inbound current. Until proven otherwise I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Actually (fluid dynamics) the inbound tide will take the path of least resistance - through the channel. Some will spill over the "dam" but the channel will allow a greater proportion of the flow on a rising tide.

And ??? big if??? / ???predict???. Seems to me there are two incoming tides a day and some agency muct have a decent model. They DO have tide tables on Bonaire. Few pay much attention because the high to low to high differential is so small. It only matters on the east coast and few dive there.

Isn't this why boats were invented?

Yep. I contacted East Coast Divers and, at 70, I'm inclined to take the easy road. I prefer solo shore diving to boats but in my old age I've become sensible. There's no need to beat my body up and take chances when there is an easier way.

I'll do a ton of shore dives on the west side. But, I want to experience the east side diving so I'll do one or more boat trips. I'll probably do a one or more wed/sat boat trips with Dive Friends. Those days they go to the north sites that aren't shore dives. Other than Cliff and Tolo, I do most of my shore diving south.

I'm still curious (academic now that I'm going on an east side boat) about the weirdness of the tide times. Mostly, why some high to low or low to high times can be as little a 3+ hours or nearly 9 hours with no discernable pattern.

@Kharon, your data are not good. Take a look at the Wisuki tides for Donkey Beach (Kralendijk) versus the tide-forcast tides. there is no similarity, which is because the Wisuki tides come from Curacao. There are no tidal measurements on Bonaire except at Kralendijk. Predicting Lac Bay tides from Kralendijk tides is difficult; predicting them from Curacao is nonsense.

So, before jumping at how complicated the tides seem to be, first throw out the nonsense data!

@fmerkel, for dive guides on the east side, both Bas Tol and Bas Noij have solid reputations. The former has his own website, basdiving.com, the latter is with VIP Diving.

We just finished our first week in Bonaire and are very experienced divers overall. So, while no "expert" like the many repeat Bonaire divers, I will still offer this.

I would be VERY careful about any East side shore dive, and would never, ever solo it (I solo occasionally and would personally consider it foolish to the point of self-destructive to attempt an East side solo). The "easiest" site, Cai, is huge, doing it without a guide you could spend two hours not really seeing anything. Most important, even Cai is subject to various currents, countercurrents, reverse currents, and mild to very strong surge. The "out" and "back" routes are very different, and can change with sea and current conditions, and are not necessarily tied to an easy swim through the channel. Currents can change unexpectedly during the dive (it did during ours).

My wive and I dove the Cai shore dive with Bas Tol last Friday. He was absolutely superb, knows the site like the back of his hand, knows where the good critters are (large and small).and Bas knows how to adapt to conditions and pick routes to get you out and back in with minimal effort and maximum safety.

Also, for those who like independence, Bas takes only one or two people and will do whatever dive you want. He even suggested that we recommend 100 cf tanks as he likes to maximize dive time (which we did). His price is $50.00 per person for the two of us, which we found very reasonable given his expertise, experience and ability to get us to the "good stuff." The dive was far more challenging than any west side dive we did all week, but we felt safe and in good hands.

As for tides, we asked Bas this very question when deciding which day to go. His response was that tide makes almost no difference. Far more important is low seas. As others have noted, Bas confirmed that higher waves send more water over the reef, and the north channel is the only significant outlet. More seas mean worse outgoing current, which complicates both the exit and the return. So, don't bother with the tide charts, just wait for a calm day.

If I did the site two or three times with Bas, and really talked to him, I might feel ready to do it on my own (never, ever solo) only in ideal conditions, but even then, consider this is real wild side diving. Very rough seas generally, and often no boat presence at all. This is not the benign west side, where you have no currents sweeping out to sea and nice calm conditions if you have to surface in an emergency or to take a bearing. If you have to surface on the west side, you are in real trouble.

Also, the White Hole and Funchi sites are only accessible by boat. The barrier reef at Lac bay is quite long and these sites are near the midpoint, not reachable diving from the Cai or Sorobon beaches. It was too rough the week we were there to get out on the boat. In fact, Bas kept us waiting until Friday for the wind to calm down.

In case it was not clear, I recommend Bas Tol completely.

I tried an east coast dive once. I was on a rebreather, the other diver with my is an instructor trainer with 5,000+ dives.

We found grass. Lots of it. We swam around for 30 minutes, never hit 20', and he was almost to 1000PSI.

2 days later I did the same dive with Bas (www.basdiving.com). The difference wasn't even night & day. It was like the difference between doing circles in a phone booth with a blindfold on & doing a tour of a city with a beat cop. He knows where to go, what you will likely see, and most of all how to navigate the challenging east coast currents & tides. I've don't the site 4 times with Bas, both day and night, and have never been let down.

I love to explore on my own, which is why I love solo diving the west side of Bonaire. But sometimes I learn that following an expert really can make all the difference.

Sounds like I might better give up the idea of an east coast dive, whether with Bas or by boat. I'll have just turned 70 when I get there this year and challenging might not be the best idea. I was just on Roatan and had some wind and waves and had no problem getting back on the boat but east side sounds like it's considerably worse than that.

I love the west side and have never had a bad dive there so maybe I better stick with that.

Kharon,

DON'T GIVE UP! A dive with Bas at Lac Cai might be a real highlight of your trip. If you are physically capable of the west side shore entries, you can do Cai.

The entry/exit at Cai is probably the easiest shore entry and exit we did, even compared to west coast sites. It is always calm, and only 10 steps from your tailgate to the water, over smooth stones. You can even walk 40 feet to a perfect smooth sand beach entry. The "challenge" is navigating the site once you are in the water, but Bas takes care of all of that, taking you to the critters and handling the best routes based on the day's conditions. Also, Bas won't dive you in bad or rough condtions. He made us wait a full week to get the best weather and would have not done it at all if it had not calmed down. He has done 1500 dives at this site, his expertise is unparalleled.

As for the boat trip, their boat looked very nicely set up. But, they will go in a stiff chop. That is a trip I would do spontaneously once you are there, if you get a calm spell, just call and book last minute. We did not get the chance, as the one calm day we had we did with Bas.

Back
Top Bottom