Boycott Boca Dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's legal, and you're going to eat it, and you're licensed, then it's ok with me.

This case was none of the above. Well, he likely has a fishing license but it doesn't permit him to spear nurse sharks.

It may be fun to spearfish. That's great! I know a lot of people that enjoy the sport, but like everthing else, it needs to be done responsibly. Shooting a shark, that is a PROTECTED species, is NOT OK in my book. And to justify it by saying that it survived.. It is not OK to randomly shoot stuff just because it's fun. A lot of people survive gun shot wounds, it doesn't make it Ok to shoot people! (Ok, a little bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

Well... I started off by asking if it was a protected species in that area and Matt said they were ok to take with conventional fishing tackle but there are rules against spear fishing them.

I can understand people being upset about the guy being a bit of a clown. Obviously not everyone has equal respect for laws, but on the other hand, there an awful lot of people in this world who only think about themselves.... I think what's positive about this whole thing is that it's clear that awareness is high among most people. There was a time when that was not the case.

Either way, the thought occured to me that spearfishing probably isn't nearly the 5-alarm issue it's made out to be and that it's probably made into a bigger issue than it is by people (I mean policy makers) who don't want to face the real issues. That's what I started out saying and it just drifted a bit from there.

R..

capnken.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom