Boynton Beach - Blue Heron Bridge Trip Report (With Photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this will sound like nonsense, because Florida is routinely credited as the most trafficked dive destination in the United States, and perhaps the world. Making the sentiment I'm about to drop even more ludicrous is that this forum on Scubaboard is probably the most trafficked part of this wonderful site. But I will risk your ridicule and say it anyway: Boynton Beach may be the best kept dive secret on earth!

I freely admit to being a dive snob - not a worthy snob, since I've never dived in Asia. But I've been blessed to have dived in Saba, Bonaire, and Grand Cayman (all in the past year, come to think of it). Many years ago, I did one dive near Key Largo, and I remember enjoying it, but not being overwhelmed by it. But when I met Scubaboard's own HowardE at the Beyond the Sea Show at the Meadowlands and discovered that Scubaboard is located in various places in South Florida, I thought I could trust his advice. "Is there anyplace in Florida," I asked him, "that has really world-class diving?"

"You won't believe me," HowardE told me, "but it's Boynton Beach."

It's true, I didn't believe him. I'd never been to Boynton, are any of the area north of Ft. Lauderdale. But I'd assumed that the water would be too cold to foster great reefs; and I'd further assumed that what reefs there were would have been ravaged by the dense population of these popular resort towns. Not so on either count, HowardE advised me. The Gulf Stream comes very close to shore in the stretch between Lauderdale and West Palm, bringing lots of critters and lots of reef growth. And yes, the water may be too cool for a lot of hard coral, but the soft corals and sponges are abundant, and hardly affected by all the people lying on the beaches just 10 minutes away.

I wanted to believe him. I wanted to find a place I could dive in warm water, without having to spend four hours on a plane, or waiting in an immigration line. So I planned an extended Memorial Day weekend, with 5 dives: one morning at the fabled Blue Heron Bridge, and then two days of 2-tankers in Boynton Beach.

I was astonished. Blue Heron Bridge is as delightful and weird and strange as people in the "Trolls" thread indicate. And Boynton had some of the most beautiful, diverse, and lovely sites I've ever dived - better by far than anything I saw on the West End of Grand Cayman in March, and worthy of trip after trip after trip.

A few details are in order for future searchers. I didn't trust myself to find a pickup buddy at Blue Heron Bridge, so - thanks to Scubaboard connections - I found my way to Force-E Divers in Riviera Beach (about two minutes from BHB) and divemaster Mark Kosarin. I'm glad I did. BHB is a terrific muck dive, but when we were there, viz was only about 40-50 feet (down from 80 the day before) and it helps to know where you're going. Moreover, on Memorial Day, the area was so packed with divers and boaters that they'd closed the park there to traffic; it took a local to know where to park and how to get into the water! Mark was the perfect handler; he reminded me of the wonderful, calm guys who got me certified in 1984. I felt safe in his hands - and boy, did he show me stuff! Multiple seahorses, conchs, crabs, bottom feeders. Two hours went by in what seemed like a nanosecond (we never got below 25 feet, and most of the dive was about 10-15 feet). It certainly helped that Mark's a great photographer with an art school background - I'm a novice and he really helped me. I can't wait to dive the area with him again.

The next day, Boynton Beach. My first set of thanks - after HowardE for guiding me there in the first place - is to a fellow I never dove with, Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers (Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks). Kevin's a prolific poster on these pages, and he's got a spectacular reputation, as diver after diver will attest. I'd arranged to dive with him, but he'd warned me that his boat was in for repairs and might not be ready in time. He assured me, though, that if that happened, he'd set me up elsewhere. Well, it happened and he did - with his own former place of employ, Splashdown Divers, which operates out of the same marina in Boynton (Splashdown Divers - Palm Beach County, Florida - Scuba Diving Boats and Charters - PADI Scuba Diving Certification - Serving West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Highland Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Florida.). What a great operation! Their boat was immaculate; the head even had a port. Six of us, including HowardE and his fiancee Megan, dove the first day, and only three of us the second day. The Captain, Terry, and the divemasters, Willy and Woody, were great handlers. Splashdown's rental BC's were older and simple, but that's not a complaint, merely an observation.

The sites were all close - maybe 10-15 minutes off shore. We dove Lynn's Reef, Black Condos, and Briney Breezes. They were all billed as drift dives, but the current wasn't terribly strong. Water temperature was 79-80. Sites were all in the 30-60 range, with a drop here or there to maybe 80. Comfortable, long dives with Nitrox. I was just shocked at how beautiful the sites were. There were gardens of large, healthy basket sponges. Sea fans abounded. The schools of grunts were large, and prolific; in fact, the size and diversity of the schools (and of the fish population generally) was astounding. We weren't spared the large stuff. When we dove Lynn's Reef (which I believe is named for Splashdown proprietor Lynn Simmons) we saw two large (8-foot) nurse sharks playing with each other, while a third tried to hide from us under a ledge. We finished the dive with a very large loggerhead turtle.

By the way, more thanks to Kevin: He directed me to Wright-by-the-Sea, a gorgeous little hotel right on the beach in Delray Beach, and perhaps one of the most perfect places I've ever stayed.

I'm attaching a bunch of photos. I made a newbie mistake (i only got the camera and took my first lessons in March; it's an Olympus XZ-1 with the Olympus UFL-1 strobe and the Olympus OEM housing) and loaded it wrong during the first day of diving Boynton, so all the photos came out washed looking. To my surprise and glee, some proved amenable to Lightshopping. I remain ever eager for photo tips from you more experienced folk out there.

A lot of thanks to go around for this perfect vacation: HowardE (that's him herding the turtle in the shot below), Kevin, Mark, Lynn and her crew at Splashdown - and Scubaboard, which keeps providing me great guidance, and a fantasy life that every now and then I get to fulfill underwater.

Attachments

• Florida Best-1.jpg
    Florida Best-1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Florida Best-2.jpg
    Florida Best-2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Florida Best-3.jpg
    Florida Best-3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Florida Best-5.jpg
    Florida Best-5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Florida Best-7.jpg
    Florida Best-7.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Florida Best-17.jpg
    Florida Best-17.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Florida Best-21.jpg
    Florida Best-21.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Florida Best-23.jpg
    Florida Best-23.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Florida Best-29.jpg
    Florida Best-29.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Florida Best-24.jpg
    Florida Best-24.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Florida Best-31.jpg
    Florida Best-31.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Florida Best-32.jpg
    Florida Best-32.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Florida Best-38.jpg
    Florida Best-38.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Florida Best-35.jpg
    Florida Best-35.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 504
  • Florida Best-22.jpg
    Florida Best-22.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 169
Folks, I didn't mean to spark an argument, only to gush over the unexpectedly great diving I found in Boynton Beach. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting a new lease on life: Great diving from Riviera Beach south to Key West. I can't wait to try the deep big critter dives in Jupiter, the wrecks in Pompano Beach, the rainbow aquarium dives in Key Largo, and everything else that's on offer. I wouldn't have known any of this without Scubaboard.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The debate sparked by the wonderful trip report above has been relocated to its own thread, here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/423000-palm-beach-county-keys.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to do BHB again. It seems that each time people go out, they see something different. And what a fantastic spot to learn you photo skills, especially macro. You folks who live in Florida (basically anywhere in Florida, as best I can tell from the debate) are very, very lucky.

Hey, I've got some questions for you experts:

1. As best I can tell from what I heard while on the boats and read on these Boards, it's Boynton for reefs, Pompano for wrecks, Jupiter for deep dives and large critters. Is that how it breaks down?

2. Several people told me that Palm Beach/Singer Island is almost as good as Boynton for diverse reef diving. True?

3. For someone like me - looking for beauty and diversity and prolific marine life, and interested in photography - where are the best spots in the Keys?

4. Where are the best places a visitor can find a community of divers in Florida - is there the equivalent of a Snset House dive resort, where you can park for a few days, dive some great sites with the same group, share meals and photos, and dive again the next day? Is the Hilton Simger Head such a place? Are there such places in the Keys?

5. How late does the warm water (79+) last?

As you can tell, I'm enameled of this place you earthlings call Florida. I'd like to know more.

1. As best I can tell from what I heard while on the boats and read on these Boards, it's Boynton for reefs, Pompano for wrecks, Jupiter for deep dives and large critters. Is that how it breaks down?

In a very general sense, yes....although there are wrecks in all three places, and for example today we dove in Pompano and did some wrecks on the first dive and a reef on the second...on the reef saw a goliath grouper, two nurse sharks, a reef shark, a hawksbill turtle and a loggerhead turtle.

2. Several people told me that Palm Beach/Singer Island is almost as good as Boynton for diverse reef diving. True?
There are some absolutely fantastic reefs off Palm Beach. A little different than Boynton but very nice indeed.

3. For someone like me - looking for beauty and diversity and prolific marine life, and interested in photography - where are the best spots in the Keys?
I've been to Key Largo a couple times and Marathon once, I don't think one would be dissapointed with either.

4. Where are the best places a visitor can find a community of divers in Florida - is there the equivalent of a Snset House dive resort, where you can park for a few days, dive some great sites with the same group, share meals and photos, and dive again the next day? Is the Hilton Simger Head such a place? Are there such places in the Keys?
I don't think this really exists up this way. Something like this is more likely to happen in the keys where it is mainly tourists.

Generally through the end of October...according to my logbook.

I can't wait to do BHB again. It seems that each time people go out, they see something different. And what a fantastic spot to learn you photo skills, especially macro. You folks who live in Florida (basically anywhere in Florida, as best I can tell from the debate) are very, very lucky.

Boynton to Delray( the south part of the best of Palm Beach) ...... and Breakers to Paul's Reef and Horseshoe reef (North of Boynton, and South of Palm Beach inlet to near the Lake Worth pier) are the areas of Palm Beach with the best Coral and most dramatic colors --both areas are prolific for marine life, but not known for the huge fish so much...though the wreck of the Castor near Del Ray is one of the major aggregation areas in palm beach for Goliaths, and it is spectacular in comparison to shipwrecks anywhere. This Breakers to Delray area is mostly 40 foot crowns ( with tons of Sea turtles in summer), and 60 feet at the inshore ledge, 90 at the offshore ledge....

Central Palm Beach with the Mispah, the Amaryllis, the Eisdvaht, the Princess Ann, and governors Riverwalk, is a collection of great wrecks, all bathed in enormous fish populations. I would put this as THE place to go for wreck diving, unless you want to go to the Zion and Bonaire in Jupiter--which are also spectacular.

Juno/Jupiter is the place to go for huge ledges with 20 to 30 foot vertical walls and very large fish, and a much bigger ecosystem than any other part of South Florida. This is where there are more huge schools of kingfish, or baitfish, of all the marine life..and this include the big sharks...the bulls, the tigers, the lemons, the hammers, and so on. Lots of sharks means a healthy marine ecosystem.

From Singer, you can dive Breakers and Pauls and Horseshoe, so yes. And, you can go North out of the inlet, and do wrecks 4 minutes from the inlet, or do the deep reefs of Juno within 20 minutes.
I would sit down with someone like Spencer Slate, and ask him about the best "rarely dove" hot spots for this, that "could" be chartered to....for the right group, and the right money.[/QUOTE]
The Hilton on Singer Island is becoming a true Dive Resort. They have a desire to be the best Dive Resort in the hemisphere..and are willing to go way out of their way for their diving guests....They have a shuttle service to take their divers from the hotel to the boats, or diveshops, or restaurants on and near Singer Island. They have the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park practically in their back yard, so this is optimal for all the free beach diving you might want, and the shuttle will go there as well. There is a special menu for divers, with intelligently priced and high nutrition food. They have special early breakfast deals for divers, and will even send divers out from breakfast with a box lunch to take on the boat. The Hilton works closely with Pura vida Dive shop, about 400 yards down the road, and Force E dive shop, right over the bridge.... Dive Groups are there heavily in the summer, so being in the lounge can often mean seeing divers playing the day's dive videos on one of the big LCD TV's in the lounge, the Hilton has set up for divers to use. The list goes on, and on.

Early to Late November..

Its not difficult to try the different areas but I like Boynton quite a bit. Jupiter is cool but deep as are parts of Boynton. The locals have more experience so they can give further details.

The Keys are cool because it has lots of shallow and sun soaked spots. So you can get so great shots without using a flash, or by blending the flash with sunlight. NN Dry Rocks has coral heads a few feet from the surface and good coral in general. The cave of the minnows is a cool spot. Then there is the wrecks which are fun.

I have dove quite a bit from Jupiter to Tavernier and its all worthwhile! Spend a few days in the Keys and a few days in LBTS and explore. Worst case you have an OK dive, but you may come across some gems as well. Howard's a good guy to dive with as he is always up for diving and knows some good sushi spots as well. :D

This is perfect to show you the sampling you are asking for..... This begins at the Palm beach Inlet at Singer Island with baitfish...then goes South to Pauls Reef...then North to the wreck of the Zion in Jupiter, then back to central for the Goliath inside the Mispah( wanting to be rubbed by diver), then the Bonaire in Jupiter, then the BHB.... 6 minute Tour version of "Why Divers prefer Palm Beach" video - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom