BP/W STA and Regulator Port Orientation - How do you have your set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this is a bit off topic I found that if my tank is a bit too high or too low, my safe second stage which I necklace gets too short and pulls to the right. Its on a 22" hose. So while we are paying attention to hose bends, it all falls under a bigger picture and has to be all balanced. Which makes it an ongoing project and fun at the same time.

Staying off-topic a bit longer, how much space should be between the top of my fully inflated wing and the bottom of my canted 1st stage in a bp/w? Apeks DST/5 using flex 22" w/90, 40" w/110, and DSS 26 w/a too efing short inflater hose lol, if it matters...

the corrugated inflators are not to effing short, the rig isn't adjusted right if it's too short under water. The inflators are designed to be as short as reasonable, i.e. just long enough for you to be able to orally inflate. There shouldn't be a lot of room between them though. The top cam band should be placed about a hand width below the crown seam of the tank to mimic the height of a set of doubles. If your harness is adjusted properly, if you pull up on the shoulder straps with the rig on the ground, the seam of the shoulder straps should be about the same height as the valve outlet.

Thank you, Tom, that is what I needed. I know the inflator is supposed to be as short as feasible, BUT, I just am having a time getting it locked into muscle memory. This new wing is only 12 or so dives old, and I'm about 1000 or so dives old. So old muscle memory fades hard. I bought a 16"er in a huff, but I haven't broke out the axe yet! I'm willing to learn new tricks, I just don't know if I always can...

sure ya can! just takes some time getting used to. Tobin is quite good about making sure his wings have the optimum inflator length and thankfully includes an appropriately length LPI as well. They do seem incredibly short if you aren't used to them though, just takes some time.... The real key is making sure the plate is adjusted properly and remembering that the position on land, especially with a tank loaded does not equate to the positioning in the water

dominica-after-storm-18-1024x768.jpg

This is why you don't want a long BC hose. This thing would drag all over the reef if that was me in the pic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom