Brand new lifeline. Already bricked....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

free_electron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Well that's just spiffy ... a brand new lifeline unit. charged it to 100% , download software , install ...
it tell's me there is a firmware update. So i click update. screen goes blank ... and that's it. nothing happens.
The unit is dead.
the installer tells me it cant find the lifeline.
if i check the devices in my computer the unit shows up as a harddisk (LFLN) with an exclamation mark next to it. failed to install properly.

no matter what i do or try it doesn't find the unit.
i tried installing , reinstalling , uninstalling , installing the driver package alone , different usb ports. all no avail...

That's a great beginning ...

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

When you contacted Nautilus directly, what did they tell you?

When you contacted Nautilus directly, what did they tell you?
No answer yet.
i solved the problem by connecting it to an old xp computer. That allowed firmware restore and then update.

i don't understand why device manufacturers want to use the usb mass storage class for firmware updates. That class is designed for harddisks and external storage. The unit enumerates as a VCP during normal usage. They could perfectly use that as firmware update. They could even use HID as update mechanism.
mass storage is problematic to implement correctly. Especially for 64 bit versions of the os

Hahaha.....I can read the words, but have absolutely no idea what they mean.....other than you fixed your problem. That's good.

No answer yet.
i solved the problem by connecting it to an old xp computer. That allowed firmware restore and then update.

i don't understand why device manufacturers want to use the usb mass storage class for firmware updates. That class is designed for harddisks and external storage. The unit enumerates as a VCP during normal usage. They could perfectly use that as firmware update. They could even use HID as update mechanism.
mass storage is problematic to implement correctly. Especially for 64 bit versions of the os

I actually think the method of doing firmware updates via mass storage device is far more robust than a VSP/VCP style update. By dropping an image file onto the filesystem, the end device can check the image is fully available on the device and run CRC checks across it before writing the image to the appropriate flash / boot area. If there a loss of comms or power during the update, the device can recognise that the image is corrupt and not proceed. USB Mass storage drivers are incredibly robust and almost universally stable. Writing directly to a device's flash is more likely to be interrupted and result in a partially transferred image.

I actually think the method of doing firmware updates via mass storage device is far more robust than a VSP/VCP style update. By dropping an image file onto the filesystem, the end device can check the image is fully available on the device and run CRC checks across it before writing the image to the appropriate flash / boot area. If there a loss of comms or power during the update, the device can recognise that the image is corrupt and not proceed. USB Mass storage drivers are incredibly robust and almost universally stable. Writing directly to a device's flash is more likely to be interrupted and result in a partially transferred image.

Yes the mass storage class drivers are robust... if they are implemented correctly on the device side. There are many problems getting it to work right on 64 bit machines. This seems to be the problem with the Nautilus. I run Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Windows sees the unit as LFLN in mass storage mode but there is an error that the driver is incorrect. This may also be a problem with an unsigned driver. i refuse to install any driver that is not properly signed on my machine. If a manufacturer can't be bothered to have the drive pass WHQL then i can't be bothered using his product.

a bootloader over HID is the most stable way to flash firmware. any system can mount a HID device. a HID bootloader can be as small as 780 bytes. store that in the top page of the microcontrollers flash and lock that page.

anyway. i don;t know what is wrong with the nautilus. i hooked it up to an old XP home machine , did a recover and now it works fine. if i connect it to my Win7 machine i can corretly run all features. i programmed the channels ,mmsi and all the other settings i wanted.

I just ran into the same issue but don't have an old XP machine laying around. So I'm still sitting here with a dead screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom