British Diver Dies in Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All,

Yesterday there was a tragic diving-related death on our island, Andros, Bahamas. The full article can be found on the www.Guardian.co.uk web site:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4458148,00.html

Although the details are sketchy, this is naturally of great concern to all of us here. Any further information would be welcome.

Our hearts go out to the family and friends of David Graves, a reporter for the Daily Telegraph.

g2

he diving with Small Hope or off a liveaboard?

I used to be a divemaster at Small Hope. Are you with them or AUTEC?

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Was he diving with Small Hope or off a liveaboard?
The folks at AUTEC are under the impression he was diving with Small Hope, but I can't confirm that.

Originally posted by g2

The folks at AUTEC are under the impression he was diving with Small Hope, but I can't confirm that.

Most sorry to hear that. Please post additional info as you get it.

Tom

The circumstances of this particular death while diving and the apparent cover-up are sad amd raise many questions. Truth often falls victim to the need to preserve "capital." My own City never released any information on the totally provoked shark attack here two years by soupfin sharks reacting to some bozo jock skin divers who grabbed their fins, etc. I had dived with about 20 of then the previous weekend without incident.

Catalina certainly has its share of deaths while diving in its waters. There were several this year in the Dive Park alone. These deaths do not seem to be covered up (although I haven't checked the weekly Baywatch reports to see if they were included).

Most of the deaths I've heard about here have circumstances that suggest poor health or training and panic were in large part responsible. Unfortunately we must accept this as long as dive agencies (or local operators) allow people who are not in shape to get their BOW certification.

Although I'm a solo diver much of the time, the failure to use the buddy system in the Andros case seems pretty irresponsible unless diver qualifications were well reviewed.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom