Brownie's Third Lung Recalls Air Compressors Due to Drowning Hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999

NEWS from CPSC

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 19, 2008
Release #09-049
Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 327-0412
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Air Compressors
Units: About 1,000
Manufacturer: BrownieÃÔ Third Lung, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Hazard: The air compressorÃÔ components can fail, which could cause a stoppage of air flow. This poses a risk of drowning to users.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description: The recalled air compressors are used to provide air to divers. The recalled products include the following models:

Note from Debby: the table did not copy in a readabl format; click link above to see it formatted correctly.

ProductModelsSerial NumbersGas-powered direct drive hookah compressor assembliesF280X, F390X, C270, C390, CTD39014421 - 15715Dual-head electric direct drive compressor assembliesE250, EC214344 - 15762
The serial number is printed on a metallic plate located on the compressor's base and on the storage case.
Sold at: Brownie's Third Lung factory and various marine/diving products resellers nationwide from July 2007 through August 2008 for between $2000 and $3500.
Manufactured in: United States
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the air compressor and contact their dealer for a free inspection and repair, if necessary. Consumers are being directly notified of this recall.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact BrownieÃÔ Third Lung at (800) 327-0412 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.browniedive.com (pdf)

09049.jpg

[SIZE=-1]---[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov. [/SIZE]

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was two guys walking out with a brand new Brownies compressor/Float set up. The compressor was running and they were ready to dive. They were in about waist deep water when a wave came in, they were each hanging on to a handle when it flipped. Water doesn't compress so I imagine the engine and compressor bent some internals when they flooded.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was two guys walking out with a brand new Brownies compressor/Float set up. The compressor was running and they were ready to dive. They were in about waist deep water when a wave came in, they were each hanging on to a handle when it flipped. Water doesn't compress so I imagine the engine and compressor bent some internals when they flooded.

Ouch. Expensive lesson!
I like to keep my compressors on land and dive off of boats.

I know a few people who have them and love them. I dove with one once and I really hated it, I felt like a fish on a hook and line!

I used to have one on a 12 foot inflatable with about 150' of floating hose. It was a nice little set up for metal detecting.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom