Question Building a SeaLife “System”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my daughter and i both have the dc1400 cameras, sea dragon and strobe setups. we both have the fish eye lenses . the flexible arms are very handy. my wife has a sealife micro 2.0 and had one dragon light . she upgraded to the twin tray with 2 dragon lights. she up graded to the micro 3.0 and uses the twin dragon set up. i just bought two sea dragon lights off ebay for 150 each, new in the box display models with battery, charger and power adapters, check ebay for some deals. i did pick up a 3rd dc 1400 housing and camera last year for around 200. also if any one has a sealife micro 2.0 there is a downloadable software upgrade for the camera. free!
Hey thanks!!😎
I am NOT a fan of using a video light for u/W photography. There is not enough light except for macro, and then it is too much for the critters you are photographing.
Yes, I find that to be the case in many ways. The old Nikonos V setups were nice for the amateur such as I. Modern GoPro setups are really overkill and not much flexibility. David Haas from Ohio has really fantastic setups for both striking compositions and high quality videos. Look for his work on VHD Sea Hunt reenactment footage. A and D Adventures has some really good photos of his as well. Also ‘Sea Rat ‘ has great pics.

That is my concern. Fortunately I seem to be able to shoot most of my open water shots by existing light which is less intrusive to the sea life. (See what I did there? 😆 ) so I got a little Suptig video light that has a hi-lo power switch. It just arrived yesterday and I’m hoping it will help with close up applications. It can be easily switched on underwater as I add the close up lens.
For night dives, I may be under-lit. 🫤
Keep those observations and suggestions coming, and thank you all.
🐸

Yes, I find that to be the case in many ways. The old Nikonos V setups were nice for the amateur such as I. Modern GoPro setups are really overkill and not much flexibility. David Haas from Ohio has really fantastic setups for both striking compositions and high quality videos. Look for his work on VHD Sea Hunt reenactment footage. A and D Adventures has some really good photos of his as well. Also ‘Sea Rat ‘ has great pics.
Yep, in many ways I miss my Nik II, III, & V cameras and the variety of lenses, strobes, and other accessories. What I DON’T miss is being limited to 24 or 36 shots on a dive then trying to reload my camera for the next dive while on a crowded dive boat, trying to keep the camera dry inside and safely sealed for the next dive. Nope, I don’t miss that at all! 😁
🐸

I am NOT a fan of using a video light for u/W photography. There is not enough light except for macro, and then it is too much for the critters you are photographing.
the micro 2.0 and the micro have no provisions to utilize a strobe. the video light has three power settings and there is a filter for the light also. it does take rather good pictures and videos considering what it is. and it is very airline travel friendly.

the micro 2.0 and the micro have no provisions to utilize a strobe. the video light has three power settings and there is a filter for the light also. it does take rather good pictures and videos considering what it is. and it is very airline travel friendly.
Perhaps i was too subtle. I don't care for the Micro 2.0 exactly because it can't use a strobe. U/W stills without a strobe are extremely limiting. this is also my problem with the vrkious smartphone housings.

Well, for the moment at least it’s done. I got Chinese made tray and arm by Natefemin and a medium Suptig video light (36 LEDs) and put my SeaLife rig together. There’s also a slip-on closeup lens (not shown). I now have a nice compact rig to try out on my FL trip in two weeks. Stay tuned for a dive report.
🐸

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 32
I’ve pretty much decided that the medium power Suptig ain’t enough. If I need light for a UW shot, I’m likely to need more power than it has to give, I’m planning on a bigger and better light for my next trip, but it will be a while, so I have time to cogitate. Now I’m leaning toward either the biggest Suptig (84 LED) or the Orca Torch. I have almost any hardware I could need to mount either on my tray rig & arm.

has anyone here had experience (good or bad) with the Orca Torch? I’m using that mid-sized Suptig now, and they all seem to be pretty much thes same throughout the series except for power.

As always, TIA for your thought, experiences, and input! 😎
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom