Bunaken Or Malapascua In August? Need Some Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shernaz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning a dive trip for approximately 5 days mid august.
Very confused about which location to pick.

Have heard wonderful stuff about Malapascua and Bunaken, but cannot decide between the two.

I understand the buggest draw would be the Threshers in Malapascua, but am concerned about the rainy season.

Also, have heard that the beaches in Bunaken are not much to write home about.

All opinions and reviews would be much appreciated

Aug is the best time to dive Bunaken.
Aug is the typhoon season in Philippines. But the thresher shark is indeed the biggest draw card.

Why only Malapascua or Bunaken, I wouldn't say Bunaken is great? I stayed once in Malapascua in august on the back of a typhoon, searide to Monad shoals was really scary.
In 5 days you can dive Bali/Lembongan get manta rays for sure, Molamola in season, superb corals and sometimes less often a thresher or whale shark roaming on Nusa Penida.

Aug is the best time to dive Bunaken.
Aug is the typhoon season in Philippines. But the thresher shark is indeed the biggest draw card.
Thank you for the response. Still quite confused, but I understand the Threshers are in season year round. Quite keen on those

Why only Malapascua or Bunaken, I wouldn't say Bunaken is great? I stayed once in Malapascua in august on the back of a typhoon, searide to Monad shoals was really scary.
In 5 days you can dive Bali/Lembongan get manta rays for sure, Molamola in season, superb corals and sometimes less often a thresher or whale shark roaming on Nusa Penida.
Thanks for the reply.
Would you say the visibility is greatly affected during August? In Malapascua.
I just did Bali last year so looking at a different location.

Thank you for the response. Still quite confused, but I understand the Threshers are in season year round. Quite keen on those
The sighting of this beautiful creature is indeed all yr around. There aren't that many places in this world to see them regularly.
I enjoy both Bunaken and Malapascua but the latter has the wow factor ie. the thresher.

Thanks for the reply.
Would you say the visibility is greatly affected during August? In Malapascua.
I just did Bali last year so looking at a different location.
Had quite decent viz despite the high waves, enough to see the threshers anyway.

How about Sipadan then?

Back
Top Bottom