buoyancy of Suunto dive compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pointy

Registered
Reaction score
My buddy lost his Suunto 7 compass (on a strap mount) during a dive in fresh water. We are unsure if we should search the bottom, or the surface, in the hope of finding it.

If you have one, could you put it in a bucket, and let us know whether it sinks or floats, and if it does either quickly?

It sinks. I would say at a decent clip. How do I know,... If you have ever seen one clipped to a BC, it hangs down, when in a horizontal position.

We had also assumed that it would sink, but my Suunto 8 (on a Bungee mount) quickly popped to the surface when released underwater. That's why I was hoping someone would drop a Suunto on a strap mount into a bucket of water and then let us know whether it sinks or floats.

Get a Deep Sea Supply (or other) Bungee Mount for it. Bungees won't open.

We found my by buddy's Suunto compass. It was on the bottom: So, on a wrist mount, this compass sinks. On a bungee mount, it floats. It's good to know the buoyancy characteristics of your gear when you lose something underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom