Bus & Collectivo Maps - Public Transportation in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not knowing what this is from, I am now wondering if there would be a copyright issue??? I wouldn't want to land ScubaBoard into legal trouble with a copyright infraction....
Just don't go there, that's all. The board should have plenty of immunity from such claims as long as it stays neutral. Then it's just an innocent clearing house of reposted info. Only when moderators get involved and start parsing stuff could someone get in trouble. Honestly, the best thing Netdoc could do is to fire all the moderators and let the board go free. Any moderation of any sort means that there are people that actually read the posts and thereby sanction what's left over, not a very good legal position the next time he gets sued, but that's just my opinion as a mere lawyer. What the heck do I know?

Just don't go there, that's all. The board should have plenty of immunity from such claims as long as it stays neutral. Then it's just an innocent clearing house of reposted info. Only when moderators get involved and start parsing stuff could someone get in trouble. Honestly, the best thing Netdoc could do is to fire all the moderators and let the board go free. Any moderation of any sort means that there are people that actually read the posts and thereby sanction what's left over, not a very good legal position the next time he gets sued, but that's just my opinion as a mere lawyer. What the heck do I know?

Thanks for leaping to MY defense, there Perry......

Thanks for leaping to MY defense, there Perry......
Sorry, but there's really no defense. I admit you got me on the legality of smoking Cuban cigars in Mexico, so in return I'll advise you that you're dead wrong on the copyright issues. (As for leaping to your defense, of course I can do that. Would you like my address where you can send the retainer check?)

They don't need to put a (c) notice, it's just more helpful: "If a notice of copyright in the form and position specified by this section appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant’s interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in the last sentence of section 504(c)(2)."
(c)
Statutory Damages.—

(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable
jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work. (2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. In a case where the infringer sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that such infringer was not aware and had no reason to believe that his or her acts constituted an infringement of copyright, the court in its discretion may reduce the award of statutory damages to a sum of not less than $200. The court shall remit statutory damages in any case where an infringer believed and had reasonable grounds for believing that his or her use of the copyrighted work was a fair use under section 107, if the infringer was: (i) an employee or agent of a nonprofit educational institution, library, or archives acting within the scope of his or her employment who, or such institution, library, or archives itself, which infringed by reproducing the work in copies or phonorecords; or (ii) a public broadcasting entity which or a person who, as a regular part of the nonprofit activities of a public broadcasting entity (as defined in section 118(f)) infringed by performing a published nondramatic literary work or by reproducing a transmission program embodying a performance of such a work.

Told ya' those laws are funny...

Told ya' those laws are funny...
Some people get uppity about their copyrights, others don't care. I remember the brouha in the ABC forum when someone innocently posted a couple pages of a popular shore diving guide that he had reworked into a computer version. At least that guy was in the right. Cvchief is nothing but a scoundrel. Heck, I bet he even copied that weird banana thing. And I've heard he was even contemplating drinking counterfeit Havana Club. Shame, shame.

Yeah, it really depends on whether the copyright owner wants to take action or not - and I bet the site he got it from in not the owner, as they got those maps from the transportation company who would like for people to print them I bet! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea this .pdf doc wouldn't print as I was able to print it out at home using a Linux/Ubuntu/Gnome OS... it downloaded to a generic doc reader and just printed. Since it was a .pdf I figured Abobe Acrobat would suffice on Windows and Mac computers. So I posted the info. After seeing the hoo-rah-rah posts about the locked doc in my e-mail I finally got to a regular Windows PC with Adobe and... it wouldn't print for me either.... Dang!

BIG THANKS to Chief for converting it to a printable doc so everyone can access this great resource. Huzzah! and a beer on me at El Fish. I'll be there this June for you to collect. :)

And also a big thanks to Ric Hajovsky of everythingcozumel.com for getting these maps from the Dept of Transportation of Cozumel and posting them. His site is kind of under the radar and there is a lot of good info on it. To have maps of the bus and collectivo routes has been a goal of mine. When I last visited the island, August/Sept 2011, I finally tracked down the Dept of Transportation and spoke to the guy in charge about getting them so I could post them online. He was happy to hear gringos cared to know this information and was very willing to share it... but there was some technical difficulty and my limited Spanish wasn't getting it. It was my last day... I was running out of time and couldn't get back to get the data myself. I seriously doubt there is a copyright issue as it is Mexican Government Public Info. I'm also hoping everythingcozumel.com is getting a big spike in traffic from the whole thing. And that visitors feel more confident about riding the buses and collectivos in town. At 7p a ride (about 50 cents) it is a real bargain.

One funny thing I noticed on these maps. 30th aka Coldwell is spelled Codwell on several of them. (??)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom