Buying dive equipment in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanx for all the responses, I have been into a couple of the stores in Bangers, Larrys was one (seemed extremely overpriced) and the other one was Dive Supply on soi 23 ... all they guy in there wanted to do was sell me Scubapro stuff. I used to know the manager of Divers Emporium on Koh Tao and had an agreement with him (I was due to redesign that website stevenl posted for them) but it never happened, this was about 18 months ago.

Now here comes the embarassing bit, I have only just got back into diving after a four year break hence I have never really owned any of my own kit. This will be the first lot I try so I havent had much experience testing different regs or BCs other than the standard stuff you hire on daytrips. I know you all have your personal faves but I'm gonna ask you for your recommendations and reasoning if its not too much trouble. I will only be diving in the tropics with it, ideally I'd love to test dive before I buy but I realise that is very unlikely in Thailand.

Oh and I dont get much time off work so trips here and there are pretty limited!

buksida:
I know you all have your personal faves but I'm gonna ask you for your recommendations and reasoning if its not too much trouble. I will only be diving in the tropics with it, ideally I'd love to test dive before I buy but I realise that is very unlikely in Thailand.

Oceanic Thailand (71/1 Sukhumvit 39, Watana, Bangkok 10110, tel: 0-2662-6716, fax: 0-2662-6717) will let you test dive some of their products (Oceanic and Aeris) in their pool. Oceanic do have some good products (I was very impressed with a Zeta/DX4 reg that I tried) and Oceanic Thailand will service and support Oceanic and Aeris equipment in Bangkok (i.e. they don’t need to send a reg to Phuket for servicing like Dive Supply Bangkok).

As I said before I am not a big fan of Dive Supply Bangkok but my gf and I do use Scubapro regs (MK20/S600/R390 and MK25/G250/R390) and Jet Fins (with spring heel straps). I use a Halcyon ss bp/Eclipse 30 wing setup so the MK20/Mk25 is ideal as the hose routing for single tank diving is very nice. I also have an Apeks (FSR/ATX200) which is now my dedicated nitrox reg. The only trouble with Apeks and Scubapro is that the authorised service centres are in Samui and Phuket respectively (OTOH, Apeks are generally quite easy to service if you need to do it yourself...). Scubapro regs can be very cheap in Bangkok if you shop around; Apeks regs are always quite expensive in Thailand.

I like low profile masks such as Oceanic Mini Shadow (what I use) or Scubapro Frameless. I use a really cheap Decathlon Tribord 3mm wetsuit—you can find them at Bangna Tower near the Nation building; sort of opposite Central Bangna department store (Bangna-Trat Road).

Theres not really too much difference it all comes down to pers pref and you wont really discover if you like something or not until you,ve used it a bit, my PERSONNAL opinion would be:

BCD - buy one you like the look of (ie. make sure you look sexy and like james bond) - I use Buddy (permanently kept onboard) and Dive Rite (because its small for travelling), but also have an old Mares which was my first BCD.

Reg - my personnal op' is buy the most "expensive" one - my current set up is Apex, I also have Scubapro 25/600 and Oceanic Delta for ponies although they have been my primaries in the past.

Fins - completely pers pref - I use Apollo and apart from Mares always have. I dont like full foot - I need my boots on.

Computer - I like wrist mount with air sender but always have a mini spg attached to both main and ponys. I currently have a Sunnto Vytec (cos its small) and an old oceanic XT as my backup (kept onland not UW). I also have air integrated Oceanic through hose connection but found it cumbersome. I dont like RGBM or modified RGBM that cannot be turned off or down, it may be safe but it annoys me.

wetsuit - black - james bond!! Thin to stretch over my big belly. Cheap cos I am a bottom crawler.

Mask - definitely pers pref - I only seem to be able to get on with cressisub (strange shaped head I guess).

Knife - 4 foot long japanese Katana (sorry just joking I use Dive Rite scissors)

Thats about it for me.

It is difficult to try everything before you buy in Thailand which is a shame.
Here is my current gear:
Mask: Mares X-Vision (black), very soft skirt, good view, I also like Cressi Big Eyes and it fit me well eventhough I don't have funny shape head like Whitehead. (Can't remember if I got it from Siam Diving or Planet Scuba).
Reg: Aqualung Legends (black) (Seats).
Gauge/divecom: Cochran Gemini Air Intergrated, I go the opposite end of Whitehead, I like big display. I don't have a backup pressure gauge (I am not paranoid like Whtiehead :) ) (Aqua Imaging, Sukumvit Soi 31).
BCD: Zeagle Brigade (black), there is no Zeagle dealer in Bangkok as far as I know, just mail ordered it from Scubatoy. Light and relatively compact, make it easy to travel. I used to use Cressisub S111 which was ok but was very bulky and heavy.
Fins: Forcefins Extra (black), again, no dealer in Thailand as far as I know, very compact and easy to pack, either you love it or hate it kind of fins. I used to use Mares Quattro, if you have strong legs, they are excellent power fins but big and heavy.
wetsuit: Camaro semi dry 3mm (black), a bit pricey but nice and warm, well worth the money, I think (bought in Singapore but I think Dive Supply is also a dealer here in Thailand).
The main theme is, as long as it is black, it is ok :)

You may also want to check out divesiteasia (little shop on BTS station Nana). They carry, in addition to the usual SP stuff, Halcyon as well as Apeks regs, Pinnacle wetsuits and others (their website with products overview is at http://www.divesiteasia.com. I've bought most of my stuff from them and prices were (at least) fair, but that was early this year and I think ownership/management has changed. Halcyon equipment can also be bought from One Stop Dive Center, who are general distributors for Halcyon in Thailand (I've been in touch with them previously and they seemed to be very nice and helpful, ready to ship the gear to anywhere in Thailand).

For whatever it's worth: I'm diving a Halcyon SS backplate/webbing harness with Eclipse wings, Apeks ATX100/ATX40, Mares Mask and SP Razor fins (although I'm looking to try Jetfins instead).

Blox:
Halcyon equipment can also be bought from One Stop Dive Center, who are general distributors for Halcyon in Thailand (I've been in touch with them previously and they seemed to be very nice and helpful, ready to ship the gear to anywhere in Thailand).

One Stop Dive Center and Krabi Dive Supply is the same shop. Glyn Evans (owner) is a nice guy and can be contacted at glyn@krabidivesupply.com or glyn@onestopdive.com

The shop is located at 24/1 Moo 2, Tambon Ao-Nang, Amphur Muang, Krabi 81000, Thailand (tel: 0-7563-7926/8 fax: 0-7563-7927). They sell the usual Dive Supply brands (Scubapro, Suunto etc,) as well as Halcyon.

http://krabidivesupply.com/

Vie:
Less common brands such as Dive Rite and Poseidon (as well as Mares) and Nitrox fills can be found at Zcuba Tech

400 Sukhumvit 79, Wattana, Phakanong, Bangkok 10250.

tel: 0-2740-3693-4 fax: 0-2332-2187

Zcuba Tech is now at two locations in Bangkok:

4236/140–141 Soi Pradu 1, Satupradit Road, Bangklo, Bangkolaem, Bangkok 10120

tel: 0-2291-2043-4 fax: 0-2291-2085

Chuancheun's Club House, Soi 57, Pattanakarn Road, Pravet, Bangkok 10250

tel: 0-2722-0131, 2722-0132 fax: 0-2722-0132

www.zcubatech.com

I'll be heading to Koh Tao for the weekend so will probably get my kit there, I know theres a reasonable sized Dive Supply and Divers Emporium on the island but are there any other stores? And will these two be crammed with Scubapro gear? I take it they both give the 20% DM discount?

I see many people here are diving in Thailand.

anyway i need some help for some servicing dive centre.

I am using Apollo regulator with Bio filter. Can i know any shop carrying apoollo product or capable of getting spare parts for servicing. I have just dived in Pattaya and foudn that my reg was free flowing. Needs to service it, but cant find any shope that possess apollo spare parts.

As I said before I am not a big fan of Dive Supply Bangkok )

Let me just second that. Needed to buy a bunch of stuff a while back and went into Dive supply BK (the new store). The young guy who served me was shockingly rude -turns out he is the manager/owner (??). Suffice to say I left without buying anything, and got the stuff cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom