Buying from ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loudshirt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any good or bad stories from buying gear on Ebay? Looks to me like there could be good deals but that most of ebay is cheap website for retailers to sell stuff on now.

Any thoughts on gear from Ebay? Right now I am looking at a couple of reg sets. They are Aqualung Titans look to be a few years old. I had one previously and really like the set up.

Any thoughts good, or bad are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have bought a couple items that I couldn't find elsewhere. For example, I bought 7 inch HP hoses from a company based in Israel recently (items have been shipped, but not yet received).

I'd be cautious depending on the source and the cost of the item. I don't expect that returning items would make sense for items purchased overseas, as I have encountered problem when attempting to return an item that didn't work to the source in China. That item eventually was returned.

Be very familiar with whatever you want. Enter an eBay search for the item - if you know the model number, enter that into your search (i.e. Scubapro S600 or Shearwater Perdix). You can search 'Scuba & Snorkeling' or 'Water Sports' sometimes the seller does not always post the item where you might be searching. You will usually find a few of the items you are looking for - put them in your watch list to see what they sell for. That way you will know what to bid.

When you find the item you want, read the descriptions carefully and study the photographs thoroughly. Don't be afraid to ask the seller a question. I usually wait until the bidding is almost over (last 15 seconds) before bidding. Early bids almost always get outbid. I bought a brand new Aqualung Aquaflex 5mm fullsuit for $70. People get excited about scuba diving, go out and purchase really good equipment, dive it once or twice or not at all, and then decide to move on and sell what they bought to raise funds for the new activity. Just be patient and keep looking - the deals are out there. Caveat emptor

if you know exactly what you want, and you know enough to be able to judge from pictures, it's fairly low risk. There isn't a whole lot that a full service can't fix in a regulator, but you have to know what you are getting into.

BC's are a bit riskier, but a bp/w is fairly low risk as there isn't a lot to go wrong and very little that can permanently disable one that you can't see from pictures.

exposure protection is a bit wonky, but again, if you know it's going to fit, and it looks good, it's probably fine

I think you would be best searching boards like this in the classifieds. Lots of good stuff can be found from people that actually use it.

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify a couple of things. For Regs I am looking mainly at Aqualung Titan. They are pretty bulletproof and most LDS can service/repair them. I am only looking at U.S. sellers. I am also keeping an eye out on this forum as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom