Buying new regs any comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am going to go with the MK25, the shop near me will give me a good deal and they are the same regs my dad is diving with, so for swapping around it'll be easier. Now I just need to finish paying off my bass guitar so I can buy these bad boys. :D

PerroneFord:
If the ATX50 has the DS4 first stage, that would be my top choice.

Perrone,

No offense, but this leaves me a bit confused. In your previous post you said you did not know much about the ATX50 but now it would be your top choice?

I did not realize at the beginning that the Apeks ATX50 had the Apeks DS4 as the first stage. Once that became clear, that would be my top choice. The DS4 is the first stage I would like to have. It's also inexpensive.

The ATX50 is usually sold with the DST first stage. The DS4 is sold by itself and you can pair it with a TX or ATX second stage when you order.

I've got a couple of flatheads (Zeagle variety) that I use on my backgas. They're fairly similar to the Apeks design and I think are a bit cheaper as well.

Vie:
The ATX50 is usually sold with the DST first stage. The DS4 is sold by itself and you can pair it with a TX or ATX second stage when you order.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I was confused.

At the risk of being over bearing, let me repeat that having used both, in my opinion buying a Mk 25 is a mistake now that the Mk 17 is available. The Mk 17 absolutely will not freeze flow on you in cold water while the Mk 25 has a bad habit of doing just that in water colder than about 45 degrees.

The 300 SCFM air flow of the Mk 25 is much greater thant the 177 SCFM delivered by the Mk 17, but it is also overkill and a 177 SCFM is more than enough for any technical trimix or deep air situation. The response rate of the Mk 17 is also excellent and it breathes as well as or better than my previous Mk 20's and Mk 25's with the same second stages. The Mk 17 is also fully sealed and this makes after dive maintenence a little easier as there is no ambient chamber to flush.

Based on my recent shopping experience and the various prices quoted to me, a MK 17cost me $50 to $70 less than a Mk 25 with the same second stages.

A not often advertised fact is that your LDS can also order any Scubapro second stage you want with the Mk 17. You lose the slight advantage of package pricing but a Mk 17 G250 HP can still be had for a retail full warranty price of $543 and from a "most bang for the buck" standpoint is the way to go.

In comparison a MK 17 S600 retailed for $598, although the cool thing was that for the same $598 as the MK 17 S600 I could get the pre-packaged Mk 17 X650. I own one and have tested it at depth and in 33 degree water with no issues with freeze ups. If I did not still own several very nice D400's it would be my second stage of choice. And all of the above prices were cheaper as the LDS offerred a 10% discount.

So basically I figured I could save money by going with the Mk 17 and get a better deal on what I regarded as a much better regulator for technical diving, cold water or contaminated water diving in the process.

There's nothing wrong with buying a Mk 25 as it is a well provena nd bullet proof design that offers excellent performance in most diving situations (the only exception being cold water diving). But be sure of your reasons for buying it and understand that you will be paying more money for a regulator that will not deliver any more useable performance than a Mk 17 and that it will be less reliable in cold water.

Hmmm interesting points to consider. I don't really want to buy a reg that I will have issues with later on down the road when I want to do more advanced diving such as ice diving. I'll take a look into the MK17 with the X650 2nd stage. I'm not too concerned about the price since the guys at the LDS will match any internet prices. I'm definately leaning towards Scubapro now for certain.

Personaly I use a Mk25 w/out AF and a G250HP. I've had it down to about 42 with no problems but my partner who had the same Mk25 as I did had a free flow. In my opinion most free flows are caused by setup problems. If the water is that cold you shouldn't be prebreathing the regulator. Also I know many people who dive the MK25's with the internal pressure set a little lower and they never free flow. If I could buy some new regulators I would go with the Mk17. It is spose to be amazing. For second stages my dive shop only carrys two in stock, the X650 and the R190. If you want something else it has to be ordered. You won't go wrong with an X650. So go for the Mk17 X650 or G250HP and it will be a great combination. Also I have nothing against Apeks and if your that worried about cold water Apeks regulators never freeze.

Justin

I think I've decided on the MK17 and the X650.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom