• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

buying used gear

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Rocknrone, May 27, 2012.

1. Rocknrone

Rocknrone Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Just got certified and I'm looking for my first gear purchase.

Problem is I'm also buying a set for my wife and my 14 year old son.

I don't want to buy new in case they don't like it very much.

Lot's of used gear around here to choose from. I have a couple of questions.

1. How important is it to buy the same brand that our local shop deals in? (Tusa, Aqua lung)

2. Are parts for other brands not available to them?

3. Can I order parts and fix things myself?

4. When I go to look at regulators and BC's what do I look for?
  2. a22shady

a22shady Loggerhead Turtle

getting gear serviced is very important, Buying used gear is great way to save some cash....

1) for your BC and especially your son I would go with a Backplate and wing they are less expensive than traditional BC's and IMO a lot better. For your growing son they will be an asset since as he grows you can adjust the straps to fit him reducing the need to have 2-3BC's. Same could be said about your wife as one of thenmost common complaints from womes is they can notseem to get BC that fits right again thats where BP/W shine as they are custom fit to you. To Save cash I would recomend looking into the HOG line which is the least expensive but very good quality (Especially the reg's which are very high quality some that have them even say they are better than the big manufactures (Scubapro/oceanic/Apeks) I tried them and they worked very well. Best thing is they are about 1/2 the price of others reg's and you can get these new.

Hog regulators you can take a class and get your own parts and service them your self. I believe with all other you need to be apart of a diveshop.

For reg's I personally like ones that are adjustable also looki into what type of climate if you will only be diving in warm waters any reg will work. If you will be diving in colder waters than you want a reg made for cold water. (a cold water reg can dive in water Cold/warm most can even perform in polluted as they are sealed)

I 2 places I could recomend purchase is

www.diverightinscuba.com Ask for mike and talk to him he will work out a great package deal for you and trully takes care of his customers

Piranha Dive Mfg. Same could be said here Owner Name is randle and will also work out a terrific deal for you and same goes he takes caer of his customers.

You could probably get into a brand new HOG system regs/BC for about the price 1 new reg set from Scubapro/Apeks would cost you.
  3. Tfast78

Tfast78 Divemaster Candidate

If you aren't sure if they will like it or not rent a few times and let them see before you drop a lot of money on gear (even used gear will cost a lot by the time it's all said and done). The plus side to doing it that way is trying different stuff before you buy. I rented a lot different gear before I decided what I actually wanted.

This is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.
  4. supergaijin

supergaijin Dive Shop

I agree- apart from the basics like a good set of mask and fins, there's nothing wrong with renting gear for the first 10 dives until you get a feel for what works for you.

It is good to get gear that can be serviced local- the reg at least. Personally I would buy the reg new from your LDS. It will normally be more expensive than what you can find online, but $300-400 on a decent no-frills reg is money well spent IMO.

Jacket BCD's are fairly generic.

I wouldn't rely on internet forums on advice on buying used diving equipment, just as I wouldn't for buying a used car.
    Culcuhain likes this.
  5. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If you're on a budget, the older Aqualung Conshelf line is great. I picked up my set...Conshelf XIV 1st + 2nd + octo, with a Farallon console for under $100. To rebuild the Conshelfs, you're looking at about $25 per 1st stage, $10 per 2nd stage. They're quite easy to rebuild, and share a lot of parts with the Aqualung Titan lineup. The bodies are solid chromed marine grade brass. They were / are the US military's SCUBA regulator of choice as well.

Wetsuits are tough to shop for on the used market. They have a lifespan that is dictated by build quality, diving conditions, and upkeep. I got lucky with mine, it was only dived once. Just keep in mind, the zipper usually blows out after about 300 dives with most modern wetsuits. Repairing the zipper usually costs almost as much as buying a new wetsuit.

The Neosport wetsuit lineup is a bargain if you want something new that hasn't been peed in.

BCs, look for fading, stitch quality...take off the hose and smell the inside of the bladder. Does it smell like it has been kept clean? Or does it smell like a heavily used pair of wet shoes?
  6. Rocknrone

Rocknrone Angel Fish

Our diving will be cold and warm. We travel to Seattle and Ft Lauderdale every year.

We have rented a few different setups. I'm partial to the Aqua Lung brand. However, I think I could get used to any brand BC.

Our shop carries Tusa, Aqua Lung, and Oceanic. Any suggestions for regulators from these guys.

Can you manually inflate a BC enough to tell if it leaks?
  7. supergaijin

supergaijin Dive Shop

:confused: Yes. Unless you put it in water, you may not hear minor leaks but anything major will be audible.

Diving warm and cold you'd need two types of exposure suit. Look to get a vest as well- they can be worn under any wetsuit you may buy and insulate well for their size/bulk. I use just the vest in here in the Maldives as temps are in 29-30C range.

Aqualung Titan is a good solid reg. The cheaper Calypso is also a good choice for normal recreational diving and popular as a rental model for it is pretty much bulletproof and easy to service.
  8. herman

herman Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999

On last thing on used. I highly recommend you avoid online buying such as eBay. While you can sometimes get great deals, you need to understand what you are doing, otherwise you may end up with an expensive paperweight. Local places like Craigslist are much better options. You can get your hands on the gear and evaluate it better. If you can find a local diver who understands equipment you will be way ahead.
  9. Colliam7

Colliam7 Tech Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Herman has a great deal of experience working with (very) used equipment (aka vintage) and his words are to be heeded. I agree with the comment that you really need to understand what you are doing, especially on eBay. I see a lot of 'irrationally exhuberant' bidding on eBay that simply makes no sense whatsoever. But, I am not quite as reluctant to support buying on eBay, as I have made a substantial number of scuba gear purchases on eBay with consistently good results. A big part of 'understanding what you are doing' is to a) determine in advance what you are looking for (develop a brand and model list and stick to it), b) determine what the abolsute best online NEW price is for each item, and c) limit your bid to no more than 50% of that lowest new price.
    If that is the case then Herman's comment about Craigslist is spot on. You have a better chance to inspect the gear before you buy.
  10. Rich Keller

Rich Keller Solo Diver

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    +1 on the older model Conshelf regs. These are easy to service yourself as they do not require any special tools. I have done the same thing with older Scubapro regs that I picked up on Ebay. I choose Scubapro as I am very familiar with servicing that brand but the principal is the same. Your local shop should be able to return an old Conshelf to like new condition assuming it is in reasonable condition to start with.