buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG regulators are DIN. Although finding DIN valves in Seattle or Ft. Lauderdale is probably easy enough, most dive operations will have a majority of yoke tanks.
Especially if you expand your diving to other, overseas locations.

I believe you have to have a tech certification to take the HOG repair class. I don't think you'll find much world-wide support for HOG yet either.

Aqualung otoh can probably be serviced just about anywhere if it breaks on a trip.

Hog regulators you can take a class and get your own parts and service them your self.

Unless something has changed, you cannot take the service course unless you can produce a Tech level certification card. I purchased HOG with the mis-impression that I could service them myself and then was told that I could not sign up as I am only a Recreational (read OW/AOW) diver. At the very least, the OP needs to confirm this one way or the other with the shops that offer the course.

From the HOG website

Technical Diving International (TDI) agreed and together we worked out the HOG/TDI repair Specialty. The course is open to TECHINAL divers. What that means is that the student has taken a technical level course. For example a TDI Nitrox course, but not SDI Nitrox, Intro to tech, GUE Fundamentals with a tech pass, but not a recreational pass.

Craigslist is where I will purchase. I quit buying off ebay a long time ago. It's a dumping ground for used garbage.

Last edited:
Maybe your LDS can sell you some used equipment? In which case they may well also service it for you. I bought my first set of regs and BCD (both used) from the local guy who I did my OW training with. Sometimes they are ones they have been using for training and sometimes they belong to divers who have quit or upgraded. But the shop is generally aware of the equipment's history. I bought my first wetsuit (a shortie, big mistake), fins and mask from the LDS, new. Subsequently, on ebay I have bought new (with tags) wetsuits, a computer (new, in box), a mask with prescription lenses, and a few other odds and sods. Have done much more shopping (on-line and at LDS) since then, but I think your approach is very sensible if you are buying for 3 people and you aren't sure how long they may stay at it. That is, in part, where all the 2nd hand stuff comes from! The rental suggestion is a good idea also, but you will likely get something different every time you rent, which has its pros and cons.

[h=4]I blogged on this subject a short while back- here is what I wrote:

Buy New or Buy Used? [/h]
byDivemasterDennis , March 25th, 2012 at 05:31 PM (388 Views)

In reviewing some recent threads on gear purchases, the issue of buying new or used, from a local shop or line, have emerged. Let me first confess that I mostly buy new gear from my local shop. I have bought some things on line, but they are accessory-type items: lights, floats, gear bags, etc. I have bought some used gear, including a few regulators, but never on line. When I have bought used equipment, it is from people I know, who can accurately report the use history of the equipment and have the service records for it. If the gear was acquired from a Denver area shop, I have been known to contact the retailer to confirm age and servicing if it seemed questionable. Also, I have only bought used gear from people I have met and whose whereabouts I know so if there is an issue with any item being as represented, I can find them to discuss and resolve that matter. I buy new gear from my LDS because I can get it serviced there, I can exchange it if there is problem there, and I don't have to worry how used or abused it is. If you are going to look at used equipment, the information and criteria varies with the type of item. A used wet suit will not require servicing, and inspection visually and by sniffing can tell you pretty much how used it is. But when it comes to tanks and valves, first stages, regulators, spg;s, computers, and bcd's I suggest that in addition to price, the buyer should know the following:
Use History. How old is the item, how many hours of use does it have in fresh and salt water?
Maintenance and service history: was the item serviced in accordance with manufacturer spec's, and are there records to prove it?
Who is the seller, and can I contact them easily if there is an issue with the equipment?
Does the item fit me- both as to size and as to the type of diving I will do?
Can I have the gear checked out before purchase?
Is the seller the original owner? If not, where did they acquire the item?
What are the anticipated maintenance and service costs for the next 2 years?
I ask this because at my local shop, most near gear comes with 2 years free
service and maintenance.
Is there a local shop in my area that can service the item?
What level of use do I expect to get from the item? Will it be a back up, a limited use item, or do I hope to put hundreds of dives on it in the next year or two?
If you take a moment to ask these questions, some of the seller and some of yourself, I think you will be less likely to make a bad used gear purchase. There is more to be considered than saving a few dollars at the time of acquiring gear. There are good deals to be made on quality used equipment that will serve you well, just sure that is the deal you make.
DivemasterDennis

I wouldn't rely on internet forums on advice on buying used diving equipment, just as I wouldn't for buying a used car.

So who would you rely on? The car salesman:confused:

I did check with my LDS on used equipment. They have two complete setups laying in the back. The owners of the gear dropped it off to see if it would sell......... ten years ago, they never came back. It looked like it should be in a museum.

I did check with my LDS on used equipment. They have two complete setups laying in the back. The owners of the gear dropped it off to see if it would sell......... ten years ago, they never came back. It looked like it should be in a museum.

Don't be too quick to write it off. If it's a Scubapro or Aqualung (US Divers) there is a good chance you can have it serviced and have a good reg.

I don't totally agree with Dennis. History, age and hours of use are not really important factors when considering a reg from a serviceability standpoint. It does have a major impact on the price however. As long as parts and service are available, there is no real reason to stop diving a reg. You will need to have the reg serviced when you get it so any wear due to age (dried out orings and the like) or wear will be eliminated with the rebuild. A few parts that are not normally replaced on a rebuild such as the second stage diaphragm and the hoses may need replacing but those are obvious and easily replaced however you do need to consider them in the purchase price as they will add another $100 or so to the rebuild. The main parts of a reg do not wear, the outside gets dings and scratches but those have not impact on it‘s performance. Poor maintenance by the owner can have bad effects on the reg but that has nothing to do with age or hours of use. How the req was maintained- was it properly rinsed and salt water kept out of it are much more important than age or hours of use. Granted age and hours of use do have a major impact on the need for service but you should have an unknown reg serviced anyway so that becomes a moot point. Some of the regs I restore are over 50 year old and a good number of them look very good inside, new rubber parts and they work like new. Others are a real mess but it’s always the result of poor maintenance, not age or hours of use. Even those are rarely basket cases that are beyond repair but they do take more work.

To the OP,

If you do buy used I'd certainly look right here on the classified section of ScubaBoard as a source of dependable used gear. Except for a guy named "Keithdiver" (who will likely never be back here), I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a fellow member. I have both sold and bought from here and have been more than satisfied with the experience.

That is the issue with buying used gear..Unless you really know dive gear stay away from used gear. Used gear can cost as much or more than used. Regulators/bcd need service and that can cost more than $150. Unless used gear is like new(used 1 time or very little) and selling at less than 1/2 the cost of when it was new stay away. Check with the LDS and tell them what your budget is. There is usually options for them to work with you. We have a new package consisting of Oceanic bcd, Yukon regulator with Oceanic computer,alt air source on sale for around $800. Wet suits do not buy used,unless brand new and used less than 10 times and sell for less than 1/2 of original cost, they have a limited lifespan .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom