Buying used wet suit and BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about a dry suit is I would have to take the dry suit course, and dry suits are significantly more expensive. Both of these add up to a lot, which as a student I can't really afford right now.

And I have been doing some reading on the internet and apparently the atlantic (because it is so big) it takes along time to warm up, but this also means it takes along time for it to cool down. This results in fall conditions to be just as warm if not warmer than in the summer.
I know that surfers out there surf in wet-suits well into winter there. Quite obviously its warmer at the surface than under water, but if I don't plan on going very deep, I think might be bake to get away with it.

Try to find demo BC's online if you want a "like new" BCD. I did that and got an Oceanic Probe with AirXS for $260 which was less than half the normal price. It hasn't given me a single issue. I will NEVER buy a used wetsuit. Too many divers "pee" in their wetsuit and I don't wanna be swimming around in other people's urine. I don't recommend diving in water below 60-65 degrees with a wetsuit less than a 5mm unless it's a in and out situation. I recommend a 7mm. I dive in local rivers in the winter where the water gets less than 40 degrees some years and hypothermia sets in quick if you are not prepared. Don't skimp on safety. A few dollars saved isn't worth a miserable dive or your safety. Save your money and buy a dry suit and take the class.

You can also consider a semi-dry suit, no special class and can be almost as warm as a dry suit. I have talked to a few local divers in my area that recommend the Henderson Semi-Dry if I am not going with a true drysuit. They will dive Lake Michigan in one and the water is below 40F above the thermocline.

I know that surfers out there surf in wet-suits well into winter there. Quite obviously its warmer at the surface than under water, but if I don't plan on going very deep.

Rent some gear and dive a bit in your area. You'll find that the thermocline(s) are quite harsh in some areas. For instance, today's dive for me was a local inland lake. Temps were 71F air, 56F water temp, 48F at the 20 ft mark, and 43F at the 40 ft mark.

Repetitive dives in cold water with a wetsuit are uncomfortable. I'm Lake Michigan area by the way.

I'm using:
Aqualung 1mm long-sleeve rashguard
Henderson Thermoprene 7mm
Henderson 7/5mm hood
Deep-See 5/3 gloves (they're like lady's gloves, they almost go back to my elbow...the long part is the 3mm)
Bare Elastek 7mm boots

50F is comfortable, 40-45F is not. You lose heat from your extremities inward.

I regret not buying a drysuit, but at the same time, not really, because I only have $250 invested into all of that. I bought everything on clearance or used. I lucked out with the wetsuit. It was only used once, but I paid a wholesome $100 for it. Farmer john wetsuits increase core warmth but decrease mobility. They aren't as good as newer one-piece wetsuits for water transfer...less water transfer is better obviously. They are also a buoyancy nightmare due to the added neoprene. Wetsuits need to be used as little as possible if you're buying used. Zipper life is your main concern. A failed zipper is not worth repairing in most cases.

If you don't mind being a tad chilly though, go for it. You'll adapt to the "ice cream headache" feeling soon enough. :D

Another name for semi-dry is wet. You can get a Bare Nexgen (drysuit) for under $400 used. You need a buddy to help with the learning curve. The class is OK but hardly a requirement. I know still expensive but not much more than a semi-dry. In any event you want a 7mm wetsuit if that's what you end up with. A 5mm is generally a 68F-78F suit. I got cold doing 4 dives a day in a 3mm in 82F water. You could add a 5mm shorty to the 5mm fullsuit and that may work. You need good exposure protection and where your going 7mm is needed with Dry being a better choice.

The water temps are in the 50's in August (55F-65F but 65F is rare) , so water temps there are cold year round. I have never dove there but you can look on SB which is what I did. FYI 62F is 7mm water and I dive that dry.

In that area, the water is never warm.

Now hold on, Shanaynay mentioned two entirely different sets of conditions.

The St. Lawrence River, around Brockville, will reach about 70F in the next month or so, and by mid to late summer, will be in the mid-70's - at depth. Even at 130 feet, there is no thermocline. Some people will wear a one-piece 7 mm and fewer people will wear a one piece 5 mm. Some people don't wear a hood or gloves there. Most wear a drysuit or two-piece full 7 mm. For the St. Lawrence, it all depends on personal tolerance.

The Atlantic around Nova Scotia is drysuit temp, even in the summer. Many will use a 7 mm full two-piece, but you'd be more comfortable and have a longer diving season in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom