Byron Bay or Heron Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

We are planning our honeymoon in Australia for this November. We are definitely going to Cairns but want to choose a 2nd dive destination. We've read a lot both Heron Island and Byron Bay but we cannot make up our minds. Heron Island sounds great for snorkeling, diving and wildlife but not so good on the resort front. Bryon Bay has great hotels and marine life but the seas might be cold and rough. Any advice from people who've visited these places would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Yuki

Hello Yuki, welcome to ScubaBoard. Have a great honeymoon Downunder....

Hi Yuki,
Heron island:- As far as the diving goes, you have to dive in one big group of up to 14 !! not for experienced divers.

Have a happy honeymoon

Oh, we LOVED Byron Bay! The diving was simply spectacular -- huge schools of fish, bat rays, nurse sharks, many nudibranchs, tons of sponges and corals and crinoids. The bay itself is beautiful, too, and the town has some lovely restaurants. We stayed at a B&B that specifically caters to divers, which was very convenient. If I make it back to Australia, I would definitely make an effort to dive there again.

My report of the trip is HERE.

I have to say that, in rereading it, I realize that nowadays, the 45 minute dives would seem quite short. But they were packed with things to see.

Oh, we LOVED Byron Bay! ..
My report of the trip is HERE.
Superb Trip Report Lynne!
Liked the added suspense of the shark encounter.
We are staying @ Planula for a few days in November and looking forward to the diving. Do you happen to remember what the water temp was while you were there?
Thanks!

Looked at my logbook -- water temps were 70 to 72 (cooler than I remembered). I dove a 5 mil suit and I was fine.

If possible do both, I haven't dived either but have heard very good things about both. I have been to Byron (just haven't dived there) and I'd say that for your honeymoon, Heron might be more romantic, but I cant say that for sure because I haven't been there. Heron would be warmer as well :)

Possibly post your own thread, your question is a bit lost here...

Do you have a particular question re Heron? People are still diving there and the research centre is operating...

I dove Byron bay in November in my 3mm wetsuit and was fine. The boat ride is very short 5-8 minutes from shore. Julian Rocks provided the most shark sightings in one dive I've ever had. 3 Wobblegong 2 nurse in a 50 minute dive. The guides that were provided were very friendly and helpful. The thing I liked most about Byron Bay (besides the actual diving) was the fact you pay per dive.... so it allows you to dive early morning and then take the day off and then perhaps do a late afternoon dive. You can really fit in everything you want to do in a couple of days! Highly recommend Byron Bay.

Cairns was a good port to go out of, I recommend trying to do a live aboard to the Ribbon Reefs as the coral and marine life is that much better compared to the Outer Reefs. I dove both spots in my 3mm and was warm enough, I know they rent 5mm so you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom