Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive here in the Northeast cold dark waters also. after alot of research I got the Halcyon Explorer 21watt with 9AH battery and very happy with it. but my choice was between Halcyon and Light Monkey both Make fantastic lights from what I seen Just got a better deal as Halcyon had a special Promo going on Couldn't say no. LED's are great lights untill you begin to hit murky/dirty water where viz is less then great. If you go with HID get the 21watt you will be happy you did

I like my 10w focusable HID from Salvo (Leviathon, now I think) just fine for Puget Sound. I have a Dive Right too but I like the design and durability of the Salvo. They really protect the battery from flood damage. No experience with the Light Monkey but curious. The best product is the one you don't every have to send to the manufacturer. I must say Dive Rite took care of me nicely after my light flooded - rebuilt the head to the 15w.

O.k. just looked at the Light Monkey site - looks just like the Salvos especially the little light monkey 2w led lights - i have the rat jr. backup lights i like so much from Salvo. Same, same only different????

Light monkey is Salvo. Same quality lights and same great service (So i heard)

I have a 12 watt LED light. It's my first cannister light so I have nothing else to compare to.
I do have a few different backup lights so I can make some comparisons.
I have two photon torpedo LED lights(3 C-cell), an Oxycheq raider (3 AA batteries), and an Intova 4.7 (CR-123 batteries).

I have the photon torpedos because I wanted the most reliable light, machined delrin bodied twist-on/off seemed to be the way to go here.

I bought the Oxychec Raider because I wanted to try it out and the price was good.

The Intova is brighter than them all, not by a lot but it is noticeable. the price is very good on these as well.

Considering money and performance the Intova 4.7 is the best option, just put a section of bicycle inner tube over the switch (it can come out of the slot).

I don't have one, but another choice that looks promising is the UK 3 C-cell twist-on/off light. It's about $50, but the body is plastic as opposed to the machined delrin body of the photon torpedo. (or salvo, light monkey, Halcyon, sartek lights).

I have no experience with the UK light, but I think it used the exact same LED module that the LED versions of salvo, light monkey, Halcyon, and Sartek lights do.

Among the lights I have, I prefer the Photon Torpedo lights. Just because I wanted machined delrin bodied backup lights that have twist-on/off activation. They are more expensive, but in the big scheme of diving things it's negligible. Besides, not long after I bought them I forgot all about what I paid for them.:wink:

Considering price vs. performance, it's dificult not to recommend the Intova. The Oxycheq Raider is good as well, but not as good as the Intova. I usually loan the Raider if someone needs an extra light.

-Mitch

for backups I love the Intova 4.7w LEDS. THey have a really tight beam and are very bright. Oh ya and they are only $40.00 on divegearexpress.com .

The switches pop out, I wouldn't recommend this light.

The switches pop out, I wouldn't recommend this light.

From some of the first runs, thats apparently been taken care of awhile back. TONS of people use these things nowadays with great success.

From some of the first runs, thats apparently been taken care of awhile back. TONS of people use these things nowadays with great success.

Idk I was looking at a newer one the other day, and the switch wasn't the greatest, I could have easily pulled it out, also if this is the case then why are people recommending you put bicycle tubing over the switch? I'm not at all convinced that the problem's been fixed, but maybe.

The bicycle tubing was a recommendation for those first run lights. At this point, they're probably the most common backup out there and the mob of people continuously frustrated with any defects doesn't exist.

Here is a link to a short review I did on the 12W LM. Not sure if you need to be a member of TDS to see it or not... The Deco Stop

Scott

The bicycle tubing was a recommendation for those first run lights. At this point, they're probably the most common backup out there and the mob of people continuously frustrated with any defects doesn't exist.

The most common where? Most people here who carry backups like the scout, PT, Rat, etc.

And most vacation divers use whatever their LDS sells them. I don't think I've seen a single person here in mocal using Intova backup lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom