Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bicycle tubing was a recommendation for those first run lights. At this point, they're probably the most common backup out there and the mob of people continuously frustrated with any defects doesn't exist.
I just bought my intova 4.7 from cave adventures, I assume it was one of the
Current models.
The switch will easily pop out of the slot. This was the first thing
I did when I got the light. I snapped it back in and covered it with
Innertube.
I'd still recommend the light for the money and output. It's a good value.
That being said...I still use my PT's as my backup lights.
I don't think intova ever fixed the switch, unless I got an older version.

-Mitch

The most common where? Most people here who carry backups like the scout, PT, Rat, etc.

And most vacation divers use whatever their LDS sells them. I don't think I've seen a single person here in mocal using Intova backup lights.

... around caves :wink:

The problem with the Intova is the switch.

Twist on lights are simple, which is real important in a backup light. Switches get switched on accidentally, as do push button lights.

Pressure can light a twist on backup as well, if its not unscrewed enough.

In either case, a buddy will have no issue telling you to turn your backup off.

Test it before the dive. Done.

The last man in a team's backup lights probably won't be seen by the lead diver, so you've got it turned on for up to half the dive.

Or, just get a proper light without a switch and learn how to test it.

I like the newer Intova's with the push button switch on the tail end.

Over the last 70 hours in a cave, my intova's have never accidentally switched on, while a twist-on backup light has, twice.

I'd go with at least 21W and stick to HID, The LED even in 21W form will not have the same "punch". I've beaten the crap out of my Salvo 21W HID (sticking it in the mud, dropping it off the bumper of my xterra, etc.) and it hasn't gave me even the slightest hiccup. Light Monkey or Halcyon IMO.

Yes, Halcyon's delrin can take a licking. Sorry Nick, just playing around, kinda. :D

I like the newer Intova's with the push button switch on the tail end.

Over the last 70 hours in a cave, my intova's have never accidentally switched on, while a twist-on backup light has, twice.

I've seen plenty of intova's turned on when they weren't supposed to be. Now here's the real question, did you test your twist on light before you got in the water (by pressing down on the bezel)?

Lemme guess... :wink:

We test everything else before starting the dive, why is this any different?

Test it before the dive. Done.

The last man in a team's backup lights probably won't be seen by the lead diver, so you've got it turned on for up to half the dive.

Or, just get a proper light without a switch and learn how to test it.
Even this isn't an issue. On a dive where it really matters, you'll have a stage. At the first stage drop it will be seen when you look at each other while switching gas sources. Even on a smaller dive, you'll usually do at least one jump and catch it there. With 6hrs+ burn on almost every backup made we're talking maaaybe 15-20min for most dives before it would get noticed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom