Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't stare at my buddy on stage switches (deco is another story). The MOD is already verified and he has at least 3 working regs. We're about a body's length away. Even if I did stare at him during switches, if he was behind me and I turned around, I STILL wouldn't see his backup lights.

The last dive I did was 50min on the trigger on the way in. So it would have been more like an hour before I saw it. Or... we just check our stuff before we dive? Ya, thats the answer.

The last dive I did was 50min on the trigger on the way in. So it would have been more like an hour before I saw it. Or... we just check our stuff before we dive? Ya, thats the answer.
At that point, you still have at the very least, 5x+ the burn needed to exit the cave on EACH backup light. Once again, we're back to using gear (switches) to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Also I find it amazing anyone would use Intova lights for tech diving. They even admitted that they're new to making lights, and other than the fact that you can't rely on them to turn on, they're very good lights.... :mooner:
Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource - View Single Post - Bad experience with Intova
Really sorry to hear of your problem. If you contact us we will give you a new revised light. We had a real problem with switches initially and have corrected it. We do not get this issue with newer production units. Our lights are really good except for this issue. We have developed a new til switch that utilizes a magnetic metal push button. It also allows full and 30 % power along with a strobe feature. Lights are a relatively new area for us and we are working hard to make them the best value on the market. Stay tuned as we have some exciting new models coming out soon.

Unless Halcyon and Light Monkey go out of business, I'll gladly take a slightly dimmer, slightly more expensive, and waaaay better tested style of light.

I've seen plenty of intova's turned on when they weren't supposed to be.

Which Intovas?

Perhaps those divers were just as careless as the divers with a twist on BU who didn't press down on the bezel.

Why is carelessness the fault of the diver in one instance, and not the other?

Sounds like the problem was fixed with a design change... but wasn't that stated earlier on in this thread?

Also I find it amazing anyone would use Intova lights for tech diving. They even admitted that they're new to making lights, and other than the fact that you can't rely on them to turn on, they're very good lights.... :mooner:

Ya know, Halcyon had alot of issues with their early 10w HIDs too. They fixed them and everythings good now. I wonder if you would be singing the same song back then as you are now?... or just continue drinking the koolaid :wink:

I say all this... and I'm not defending my backups by any means... I use OMS(zomg) twist on Vega LEDs. Brighter than the Halcyon and Salvo BUs, cheaper, and bulletproof(I've run mine over with a truck, trailer, and boat - by accident - and they're still kickin).

Dropped my OMS HID on the dive boat it hardly hit as I managed to grab the cord but you guessed the bulb broke 200.00 to replace, for me my next light will be LED for sure even if not quite as bright as HID I will live with it.

Dropped my OMS HID on the dive boat it hardly hit as I managed to grab the cord but you guessed the bulb broke 200.00 to replace, for me my next light will be LED for sure even if not quite as bright as HID I will live with it.

You can find the bulbs cheaper if you look around...

That being said, I broke 5 Brightstars in my former HID. Then bought an LED primary and sold the HID - absolutely no regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom