Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon has recently changed over however, but I still don't have a local dealer I trust to take stuff to for service. Maybe you can send it directly to Halcyon? Duno, I guess if I have issues with any Halcyon gear I might look into it... With how easy it is to get service from Light Monkey I don't see myself drinking that flavor cool aide

We are a dealer for both and IMO, customer service is great for both. We do a lot of boat diving here in the NE and things get banged around a lot. We haven't had any issues we either company's bulbs. Locally the 21 HID have been the canister of choice. Just like with Light Monkey, if you don't have a local dealer to trust, just send it back to Halcyon directly and they will take care of it.

We are a dealer for both and IMO, customer service is great for both. We do a lot of boat diving here in the NE and things get banged around a lot. We haven't had any issues we either company's bulbs. Locally the 21 HID have been the canister of choice. Just like with Light Monkey, if you don't have a local dealer to trust, just send it back to Halcyon directly and they will take care of it.

Exactly. Customer service at Halcyon is phenomenal, and IME every bit as good as that from Salvo/Light Monkey. I've had my light in for service a few times, and every time it's gone in Corey has thrown me some unexpected freebies (charger adaptor, replacement cord or lid, etc.) that shows me that they take their customer satisfaction VERY seriously.

I'm just glad we have such a wonderful tradition of above-and-beyond customer service from both of these highly-regarded manufacturers.

I know just about everyone's a fan of the 21W HID, but for a bit less money, I ended up with the Hollis 16W LED. Initial impression says that the light color range is better than the 21W HID, the canister is made by Light Monkey, and the light overall is a pretty nice rig. Compared to a buddy's 21W during a nice red tide bloom visible running out around 3/4 of a mile from shore, at 100' under the bloom, the light had decent punch, enough brightness to handle daytime signaling, and generally stacked up nicely with the 21W HID, not seeming noticeably darker.

Personally, I like the durability of LED vs HID, because I'm scared of broken bulbs, due to bad experiences with a 10W Sartek HID I bought off SB about 6 months ago, and spent about the same amount of money again trying to get it working, ending up $600 down with a non-working light.

Peter

I actually believe that hid bulbs are more sturdy than they get credit for. I have been making my own HID lights and selling them recently. In my testing I have put my prototype up through a few beatings to "try" to break a bulb. Yesterday I accidentally dropped the 21w brightstar bulb onto my granite counter top from around 12". It still works perfectly.I also have a bad habit of forgetting to clip off my light before I don my rig and so my light head occasionally hits the side of the car. With the test tube stlye bulbs I believe they last fine against normal use.

I went through 5 brightstar bulbs during actual diving, within about 2 years. I never dropped them on granite, instead I just ruined them under their intended purposes.

Love my LED.

I went through 5 brightstar bulbs during actual diving, within about 2 years. I never dropped them on granite, instead I just ruined them under their intended purposes.

Love my LED.

Hmmm ... I've got about 1200 dives on my Salvo 18W HID w/ Brightstar bulb now ... and the bulb's working as good as it was the day I got it. I've had the cord replaced a coupla times, but otherwise the light's been trouble-free ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

??

So you're saying I didn't go through that many bulbs?

I wish I didn't, between them, and a new battery at one point, I spent more $$$ on replacements than the light itself.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom