Canon FX Macro options compatible with minidome?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChyLn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I currently have a Canon 5DM3 with a Tokina 10-17 (realize this is for crop frame, but it's fine from ~14mm onwards) in a nauticam housing with the Zen 100mm mini-dome. I recently read a few threads that mentioned it's possible to use a short macro with the minidome without need for adding extension rings, swapping ports, etc.

My question: the Canon 60mm f2.8 macro is for cropped frame only... so I'm debating between Canon 50mm f2.5 Macro and Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro as options. It seems that the Sigma is not internally focusing and may have issues as well... Has anybody had any experience with this particular combo?

Also, my wife is using the A7RV+90mm macro so we already have a dedicated macro setup. This is me looking to add some macro capabilities ideally without needing to lug around an extra port/dome so if we end up doing blackwater/muck diving I can do some light macro with roughly same setup.

Both Canon and Sigma 50mm macro lenses should work with EF mount but I think the Sigma would go to 1:1 where the older Canon 50mm f2.5 would only do 1:2 unless you added an extension tube.

Then the Canon would be limited to shoot between 1:2 - 1:1 the whole dive.

Long time Canon shooter.....

DH

PS - Macro lenses may not focus well behind your small dome port. Most use a flat port but at least it would be a stubby one depending on your housing brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom