canon vs tokina?

Discussion in 'The Canon Corner' started by Moto752, May 11, 2012.

1. Moto752

Moto752 Angel Fish

I am new to underwater DSLR photography and I just got a housing for my Canon 50D. Now I am looking into getting a good all around lens to start with. From what I've read, the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye seems to be a favorite for underwater. I also found a good deal on a Canon 8-15mm fisheye. Any advice on which is the better choice? Taking into account the sensor on the 50D. Or suggestions on a better lens to start with?

2. alcina

alcina Missing Diva. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Macro is "easier" to start getting lovely results with than wide angle, imho, so I'd probably head towards the 60mm macro, myself.

Haven't used the 8-15 fisheye but wouldn't give up my Tokina 10-17 - it's simply fabulous and I love the baby Zen dome for it :)

If you want a lens that will give you maximum flexibility and a lot of options during dive, Sigma 17-70. I adore mine. Perfect for when you don't know what you'll find or when you know you'll have tiny things and lovely wide angle scenes. It's also a great starter lens so you can get a feel for what type of uw photos you prefer to shoot. It also is a great topside lens as you can grab it and go with only one lens while traveling or a day out - I just find the range to be really sweet.

chile7236 likes this.
  3. chile7236

chile7236 Scuba Instructor

thanks , alcina...you just answered a question i had about my "starter" lens....sigma 17-70.

4. darook

darook Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I primarily use two lenses underwater, the aforementioned Tokina 1-17 and a Canon EF-S 60mm. The Tokina is a GREAT wide angle lens and is very popular as is the EF-S 60mm for macro on crop Canons. That being said, the most important parts of my gear are the strobes. Without good lighting the lenses don't matter much. Some of my favorite shots came from my EF-S 18-55 kit lens so I am sure you will get some great ones with you Sigma. It really depends what you want to do. The Tokina is useless for macro, and the 60 is useless for WA. A zoom lens behind a dome is a very versatile option. Good luck and happy shooting!

5. doctormike

doctormike Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    +1 for the Tokina 10-17 and the Zen mini dome (just upgraded from an acrylic Nauticam 6" dome). The fisheye lets you do stuff that you really can't do with a regular wide angle (like get very close, the number one rule in UW photography!). My last WA was the Tokina 12-24, I never use it now.

I also love my 60 mm macro, because when I dive with it, the whale sharks tend to show up...

6. muzikbiz22

muzikbiz22 Manta Ray

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    +1 more for the Tokina :) It's a fun one "on land" is well.

7. doctormike

doctormike Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Curacao2012_topside - 005.jpg

muzikbiz22 likes this.
  8. SFLDiver3445

SFLDiver3445 Photographer

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Same here! I use them with my Canon 60D.

9. matt215

matt215 Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Never used the tokina (full frame sensor), but I think that the canon 17-40 L is a very versatile lens. I used it for wide angle and even some little stuff. Also have sigma 15 mm fisheye, and I like it.

10. PatW

PatW Manta Ray

The Tokina 10-17 is generally regarded by most people as the best wide angle option for an FX format DSLR. It is a zoom which gives you some flexibility. It also focuses really close so you can use it on a variety of smaller subjects if you can get really close. Also because of its very close focus, you can use a small dome with it (4"). The very close focus means that you can have pretty small subjects in the foreground and still have a sort of a landscape background. I don't think that either Nikon or Canon makes a lens quite like it. It has a rather "odd" mix of characteristics that make it almost uniquely suited for small sensor DSLRs in underwater photography.

11. lcollar

lcollar Angel Fish

+1 What PatW said regarding the Tokina 10-17. This is a great wide angle lens and certainly an easy lens to get started with underwater. Has tremendous depth of field which means you primarily need to concentrate on composition. Unfortunately for my bank account,I got bored with the close focus/wide angle shots pretty fast and moved to macro starting with the Canon EF-S 60 mm USM. There are a lot of threads recommending this lens also for several good reasons as well. The Canon 60 mm was also a good lens for me starting out but I had trouble getting really close to skittish creatures plus some others that I really didn't want to get all that close to. So moved up to the Canon 100 mm macro on the advice of a pro I respect.

WOW, what a difference. If you are going into macro at some point and want to get some photos that really pop right away, you might skip the 60 mm and go straight to the 100 mm. This lens presents some unique challenges as well but it will really make you look good.

12. jan10

jan10 Angel Fish

Tokina is a great lens indeed, but now I want to dive at a place (Azores) with (smaller) types of manta's and sharks: because of the fact you have to be very close (which is not always posible for sharks e.g.) I am looking for alternatives. Any suggestions ? The sigma 17-70 I was looking at also, but it does not fit in my S&S housing (no zoomgear available). Maybe my tokina with a convertor ? (but then also without zoom-possibility I suppose) or other lens ?

13. BluewaterPhoto

BluewaterPhoto ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

# of Dives:
    Jan10 - I'd look into getting the Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 12-24mm if you want to be able to get a little less angle of view than the Tokina 10-17mm. For a good shot with any lens you'll want to be somewhat close to the subject. Good luck! - scott

14. Randy Alex

Randy Alex Angel Fish

I would like clarification; as i understand all of you, the best overall choice for single lens to use underwater for both close shots and larger reef or shark pics would be the Tokina 10-17. If that is the case, for the ikelite housing on with a canon 60D, would the standard 6in dome port be the best choice or should i buy a different port. I have recently upgraded from by previous underwater "system" a Canon SD 1300 with Ikelite housing and af35 strobe and need help in setting up he new DSLR