canon vs tokina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 What PatW said regarding the Tokina 10-17. This is a great wide angle lens and certainly an easy lens to get started with underwater. Has tremendous depth of field which means you primarily need to concentrate on composition. Unfortunately for my bank account,I got bored with the close focus/wide angle shots pretty fast and moved to macro starting with the Canon EF-S 60 mm USM. There are a lot of threads recommending this lens also for several good reasons as well. The Canon 60 mm was also a good lens for me starting out but I had trouble getting really close to skittish creatures plus some others that I really didn't want to get all that close to. So moved up to the Canon 100 mm macro on the advice of a pro I respect.

WOW, what a difference. If you are going into macro at some point and want to get some photos that really pop right away, you might skip the 60 mm and go straight to the 100 mm. This lens presents some unique challenges as well but it will really make you look good.

Tokina is a great lens indeed, but now I want to dive at a place (Azores) with (smaller) types of manta's and sharks: because of the fact you have to be very close (which is not always posible for sharks e.g.) I am looking for alternatives. Any suggestions ? The sigma 17-70 I was looking at also, but it does not fit in my S&S housing (no zoomgear available). Maybe my tokina with a convertor ? (but then also without zoom-possibility I suppose) or other lens ?

Jan10 - I'd look into getting the Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 12-24mm if you want to be able to get a little less angle of view than the Tokina 10-17mm. For a good shot with any lens you'll want to be somewhat close to the subject. Good luck! - scott

I would like clarification; as i understand all of you, the best overall choice for single lens to use underwater for both close shots and larger reef or shark pics would be the Tokina 10-17. If that is the case, for the ikelite housing on with a canon 60D, would the standard 6in dome port be the best choice or should i buy a different port. I have recently upgraded from by previous underwater "system" a Canon SD 1300 with Ikelite housing and af35 strobe and need help in setting up he new DSLR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom