Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting thread and although the operators response was wonderful and the right thing to do, one of the reasons, I have never gone to Cozumel is their practice of live boating. In my humble opinion, I think it is dangerous and can get people in big trouble. If I were to go, I would take my reel and my SMB and I would deploy it the entire dive. They could like it or not, not my problem, at least they could tell where my group would be.

DSFDF. The "live boating" is one of the things I like most about diving Cozumel. This was an extremely unusual situation; in fact in nearly 20 years of diving Cozumel this is the first one like it I have ever heard of. I believe you'd find the full time deployment of an SMB far more trouble than it's worth, for reasons others have posted. Maybe Cozumel isn't for you.

Met Miguel last trip & I've dove with Pedro often enough to know that they were in good company for such a situation. I don't know the captain's excuse but I'm pretty certain Pedro made certain Christi got his (Pedro's) side of the story in a way that let her know it was serious. I can't see Pedro being too happy about it & although I only spent a bit of time with Miguel I think he'd have taken it as a very serious flaw in the captain's ability. As others have said things can & do go wrong but every time it does there's a lesson to be learned & it's important to pay attention to what the more experienced recommend as well as stay calm to keep focused.

Good question re dropping the lead if the BCD can't do it's job. I'd have dumped it & maybe eventually the tank once it went empty due to the constant re inflating.

I took it the DM was waiving SMBs. You think more might have helped? Maybe a mirror would have done something.

On the other hand, it reminded me I need to get my replacement for my aquatec since the button fell off and they didn't answer my email. Think I'll get aDive Alert Plus V.2.....

Good question re dropping the lead if the BCD can't do it's job. I'd have dumped it & maybe eventually the tank once it went empty due to the constant re inflating.
Isn't an exhausted Al80 positively buoyant?

I'd have dumped it & maybe eventually the tank once it went empty due to the constant re inflating.

Remember that an empty AL 80 floats. It does, however, hinder swimming.

I took it the DM was waiving SMBs. You think more might have helped? Maybe a mirror would have done something.

On the other hand, it reminded me I need to get my replacement for my aquatec since the button fell off and they didn't answer my email. Think I'll get aDive Alert Plus V.2.....

If they had the Magnum like yours, the ISS would have seen them. :)

But seriously, everyone needs an SMB, even if you never use it, due to the currents and possibly getting separated, its a must in my book. Especially the Magnum. :)

If they had the Magnum like yours, the ISS would have seen them. :)

But seriously, everyone needs an SMB, even if you never use it, due to the currents and possibly getting separated, its a must in my book. Especially the Magnum. :)

OH,SMB. I thought you were talking about something else...

Seriously I agree that everyone should have an SMB, I just don't know if this incident could have been changed by more SMBs. My first SMB, thanks to DD scaring me, was a really nice GIANT DAN model. But it was alot like carrying a rolled up sleeping bag, so I downsized to a regular sized one. I am still toying with a Nautilus.

Are we talking about condoms again?

I didn't think about it but you probably could blow one of those magnum ones up to be a big SMB couldn't you?

I'm gonna go grab one and I'll let you all know.

yeah.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom