Caribbean diving from New York?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k_sheep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

The Mr and I are off to NYC for 2 weeks shortly. Given we're not really into arts or cities, we were looking at going diving in the Caribbean for a week or so. We're relative beginners (~40 dives each) but would happily snorkel all day every day as well ... great way to blow off nitrogen while still getting amongst the fishies :) So far, all of our diving experience has been in Asia and Australia so the sheer volume of choice is overwhelming.

Any advice on somewhere accessible from NYC with great snorkeling as well as diving? We don't mind paying extra if it's special, but by the same token we're happy in a hostel without hot water or air conditioning and eat instant noodles for dinner. Bonaire may fit the bill, but the choices in there also seem endless, and I don't know how the snorkeling is.

Thank you in advance :D

Thanks for the kind advice .... seems Curacao will be a good fit. I'll have to post a review when we get back :)

I have sat in the airport on Grand Cayman many times envying the New Yorkers who seem to have lots of choices for short, cheap, direct flights to Cayman; check out JetBlue.

And there is lots of great snorkeling from shore, see Tsetudo's Guide:
http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

There are also some nice shore dive spots that also offer snorkeling, like Turtle Reef.

seems Curacao will be a good fit.

Dive the Tugboat site site (rent and bring tanks, the shop there is closed) - start south around the point and the wall gradually - then steeply drops. Right where it does are dozens of eels. There can be some current there also as you drop deeper.

Then come back in and do your SI on the Tugboat itself - it's 17' deep so a good snorkel also. Mid-morning it could be you and 100 cruise excursion snorkelers also - I've never seen so many people fall off a boat in my life.

The pier is good for either also - only about 40' deep IIRC. Check around the pilings where they mount the mooring lines also - there's corals all over one - I don't remember which. The Tugboat itself is just past them to the south. If you're there when the cruise trip is, it's obvious.

Another good snorkel is Playa Kalki out front of Lodge Kura Hulanda on the other end of the island - I chased flounder thru the coral heads there for about 1/2 hr. Straight out then either north or south is also IMO one of the best shore dives on Curacao. North is a lot more vertical. We "danced" with a couple of huge Green Moray's to the south - they seemed to be used to doing that.

One more is just south of the beach at Varsenbaai - it's pretty sandy, bland and featureless except for the turtles feeding on the grass there. The shop owner said they've been there forever. We also saw two big groups of squid - one under the dock. Good dive also, go south and there's a pontoon boat wreck near most people's turn point in 80'. Deeper than that are one of the carpile wreck sites but we didn't do it. I've heard they're pretty badly decomposed now anyway. We also found seahorses around the base of the mooring ball in 40' just off the dock also.

Lastly the north wall of the cove at Playa Jeremi is listed on a past Frommer's Top 10 in the Caribbean Snorkel list. There's orange cup corals in shallow water - the cliff face drops down right into the ocean there. One of few sites on Curacao with no facilities so bring everything.

Ask for directions to the closed Sunset Waters resort site also - there's a breakwater there and what looked like decent snorkeling inside it. It drops pretty quick once you go thru the opening though. It's also a dive. Recently someone posted that a lot of sand is being carried in from the depths so it may not be the site it once was. Bring everything there also.

Last edited:
You could dive in NYC. The water had some crust on the top but most of it is gone now.

Thanks for all the advice everyone ... I've booked flights to Curacao, splitting 4 nights each at the hilton and at bahai so get to experience both "sides" of the island. Planning to rent gear from relaxed divers, and then pick up as many tanks as we need elsewhere. Can't wait :D

You might want to reconsider the Hilton.... When we stayed there it was pretty much a dump.
The Marriott was better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom