Caribbean to the Pacific !! Getting ready for this cold wata, BBRRR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sunnie and I just moved to California , Bay Area , from the warm USVI Caribbean Island of ST Thomas. I worked as a tour guide for St Thomas scuba and snorkel got my PADI through BlueIsland Divers and my First Responder with Aqua Amy. Not to mention the many Boats/ Islands/Peeps involved in my little 2yr vaca in STT. I loved the Island community always in the water, on the water and working together.Small Islands make close friends. It changed my world and also every decision I was going to make for myself. Always include the ocean. See Im from Texas, not just Texas, born El Paso, lived Dallas . When I discovered there where places like the Caribbean in the world I was hooked but it took me til I was 30 to make the BIG move. I did lived in Playa Del Carmen , MX for a little while in my 20's. It was the first place I dared put on a snorkel. (I was 25). I was on sand in the water and there was some rocks close to the shore, which I was scared to death of. My friend Paul said "Here Sunnie, put these goggles on and swim over it , You know you are just gonna swim right to the beach". Scared but determined not to look like a chicken , I put the mask on and took a deep breath in the snorkel and just let the waves push me over the rocks. As I popped over the top , I saw a little hidden world with a bunch of yellow fish swimming around a huge conch shell, with strange bright pink rocks (coral), I was dazzled and hooked. And I know I know this is a diving web Forum but I'm Getting to that. When I moved back to the states it took me a few years and a couple of heart breaks but I moved back to the water that wouldn't stop calling my name and literally Dove in , lol get it and I knew I was going to be diving for the rest of my life. A short 2 1/2 yrs later My new hubby found a great job here in Cali with a promise of only 5yrs, but with the option to continue my loves in a new ocean world. I was like , ok. Guess so. When I first got here I missed very much my family of crazy pirates and divers.Not the same as a bunch of misfits getting up in the morning for their daily salt baths. So There it was Pacific at my feet. When I first put my toes in da ocean @ Halfmoon Bay in the cool month of april I thought no way am I getting into that water. The color , the cold. Thought maybe sailing is gonna be the way to go with this coast (still not outta the picture) but as fate would have it I was introduced to an amazing Dive School here in San Mateo called Scuba Fusion. They have taken me in and have given me a passion for diving back. Now I'm looking for my salty diving buddies. To give me pointers, send me in the right direction and to bounce info off of. I still consider myself a newby , no miss conceptions on my part. Caribbean diving is a piece of cake compared to ,,., well everything else. I know that. My days of strapping my gear on over a rash guard is on hold , Its Booties and Hoodies for awhile :D
I have only been here 5 months and just wanna reach out, learn , explore. I hope I find some of that here . Thanxs for sticking through my story. Nice to meet everyone !!

Welcome aboard!!!!

Feel free to drop on down to your local forum and join in the fun here: NorCal

It's a whole new world here, but on a good day can be fantastic!
It is definitely more gear intensive, but the kelp forests are georgeous...

Oh, head down to Monterey . . . and bypass the Breakwater, and head straight for Pt. Lobos. It will make the investment in diving cold water worthwhile. Monterey has some of the best diving I've found anywhere in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom