Catalina Diver died today w/ Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anybody have an idea what dive op she was getting her certification through? Not that it's extremely important, but wondering if they are on SB and have any light they could shed on this. Also, I heard cardiac arrest was part of the problem, now maybe equipment failure? I wonder if an equipment problem led to a panic situation then cardiac arrest.

It is possible the diver could have had a cadiac problem which lead to the panic. That will only be determined by autopsy, and chances are we will never know as rarely do those results get published anywhere.

As far as the instructor publishishing anything here, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. I am sure for legal reasons (it did happen in California) no comments will be made.

It is possible the diver could have had a cadiac problem which lead to the panic. That will only be determined by autopsy, and chances are we will never know as rarely do those results get published anywhere.

As far as the instructor publishishing anything here, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. I am sure for legal reasons (it did happen in California) no comments will be made.
Actually, LA country is the one place where we do often receive follow up info. Ken might fill us in in time.

My heart is broken for this family. I know EXACTLY the horror and shock they are going through. My prayers are with you. Does anyone know what dive shop/company the diver was with?

While it is possible that the diver had some pre-existing heart condition, the likely chain of events was:
Panic -> Rapid ascent -> Pulmonary barotrauma -> Coronary arterial gas embolism +/- cerebral embolism -> Cardiac arrest/Apnea/Unconsciousness

I guess we'll have to wait for the autopsy report.

Actually, LA country is the one place where we do often receive follow up info. Ken might fill us in in time.

True, with the "in time" caveat. Usually it is so long after the incident, we have unfortunately moved on to others. I do hope we find out.

Does anybody have an idea what dive op she was getting her certification through? Not that it's extremely important, but wondering if they are on SB and have any light they could shed on this. Also, I heard cardiac arrest was part of the problem, now maybe equipment failure? I wonder if an equipment problem led to a panic situation then cardiac arrest.

Ultimately, we all die from cardiac arrest.

The fact that his/her heart stopped says nothing unless the autopsy indicates that this was preciptating factor.

Speaking from experience (don't ask) a heart issue doesn't necessarily lead to panic. Panic and pain in the heart are about as related as peanut butter and the man on the moon.

R..

True, with the "in time" caveat. Usually it is so long after the incident, we have unfortunately moved on to others. I do hope we find out.
No, he often posts on Catalina threads very quickly even tho the results are not in, but he is a busy man. It's been amazing how soon he does give us results, tho.

Ultimately, we all die from cardiac arrest.

The fact that his/her heart stopped says nothing unless the autopsy indicates that this was preciptating factor.

Speaking from experience (don't ask) a heart issue doesn't necessarily lead to panic. Panic and pain in the heart are about as related as peanut butter and the man on the moon.

R..

Wow, that's a helpful post..... :confused:

No, he often posts on Catalina threads very quickly even tho the results are not in, but he is a busy man. It's been amazing how soon he does give us results, tho.

Agreed Don, Ken is a big help in these cases. I think I was projecting the time a bit because unlike others this was a person in a class, and there may be legal issues to deal with versus a typical dive accident. Regardless, I do hope we find out what the primary cause was.

A small sidetrack- there was some discussion a week or so ago if the A&I reports do any good since we have so few facts. I think this is a perfect example of how they help, as divers are questioning their knowledge and practice of ascent rates, and what depths can be dangerous for rapid ascents.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom