Cave and Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am pretty interested in wreck diving in the future, the idea of going through sunken history is totally awesome to me! However I was thinking about cave diving and it really doesn't interest me, maybe I am just ignorant to what it has to offer. Are there cooler things in caves over wrecks? Why are some divers drawn to caves and don't do wrecks (or even vice versa)?

Well different people are drawn to and interested in different things. I can understand people being drawn to cave diving, at first during my cert classes, the idea of cave diving seemed crazy, but after peaking into a few caverns since certification, it changed my mind, I can understand the intrigue. Navigating an underwater maze, exploring where few have.

However, tech/cave diving isn't for me, but I can understand it. Similarly, after doing a couple wrecks, I know I prefer reefs and marine life but I can still understand others being drawn to it, because like you say you are exploring history.

It's whatever floats your boat, peels your banana, etc. Some people dig rocks, some people dig stars. Some people like finding fossils or ancient artifacts, others like salvaging dishware and portholes.

Cave training is typically, across the board, the toughest training in the recreational realm. I've never gone to commercial dive school or been a Navy diver so I can't attest to the standards required, however I can tell you that the standards required by real agencies giving out cave tickets are at the top of the pile. The mastery of skills required to actually pass a cave course is quite an accomplishment. Coincidentally, that translates quite well over to wreck diving. In that regard, many wreck divers get cave training. While wrecks hold some very specific hazards not found in caves, by and large the skills taught in a cave course will translate very well into the wreck world, whereas not many specific wreck skills translate over to caves. It's not uncommon for wreck guys to take a cave course to learn the skills, even if they never go in a cave again. To some people, rock just doesn't have the same appeal, and to others, a hunk of iron pales in comparison to laying new line where nobody has ever been before.

More cave diver Bull....

Jim..

@Slym I was in the exact same boat as you (cool pun) and now with just over 50 dives I am itching to get my Cavern and Cave Intro done. I love wrecks and will continue to want to do wrecks but the first time I went in the Ballroom at Ginnie Springs, I was hooked. Now I have a list of caves that I want to eventually dive as well as wrecks. Training in general is never a bad thing either as it requires you to stay on your game and progress.

Cave Dive Training transposes to Wreck Diving Training very well. I have never met a wreck dive who took cave training regret taking it. Most found a new fondness for it.

Cave Dive Training transposes to Wreck Diving Training very well. I have never met a wreck dive who took cave training regret taking it. Most found a new fondness for it.

Training for overhead environment (wreck penetration) uses the same disciplines in both caves and wrecks. My preference is wrecks but I have done cave training. My wife is a keen cave diver and enjoys the geology. The really enthusiast cave divers I meet it is like an addiction. What is round the next corner (rock - it is always more rock). For me the pleasure is mainly that you get to visit really nice places (most caves are in limestone [karst] country and it can be stunning). We cave dive in France and enjoy the food, the wine, the scenery and the wildlife. My life is definitely better for learning cave diving but I still prefer a good wreck over any other venue.

This is near where we dive - worth the trip on it's own

la_roque_gageac.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great picture!!! Where is it?

Didn't know you could find fossils and stuff too, thats pretty awesome! One of the owners of my LDS are a really passionate tech instructor that loves caves, he teaches wrecks too but caves are his favourite.

I think the primary answer is that it depends on your location and the diving that is available there. Florida/Mexico versus N.E seaboard USA. Thailand (caves) versus Philippines (wrecks) etc etc etc What you do most routinely tends to spawn the passion for that environment and what interests it presents.

Both are equally hazardous overhead environments; albeit with varying scales of hazard appropriate to individual sites. Training for either should be appropriately comprehensive. However, cave sites, being inland primarily, are more well access regulated. This means tighter standards for certifications; that all the training agencies have to fall in line with (if their c--cards are to be worth anything). Access to wrecks isn't regulated; at least from a certification stand-point - so the quality of wreck training can be highly variable. Good wreck training, however, should be just as comprehensive and challenging as the equivalent cavern/cave level of training.

That's a great picture!!! Where is it?

Didn't know you could find fossils and stuff too, thats pretty awesome! One of the owners of my LDS are a really passionate tech instructor that loves caves, he teaches wrecks too but caves are his favourite.
If you love fossils and you're only open water certified you might want to make a trip down to Florida and visit Paradise Springs.
Paradise Springs can be done with just an open water certification and the cavern is full of fossils, plus it will give you a chance to see if cave diving is something you want to pursue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom