"Cave Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At my lds if they know you and you have the time to wait like your coming back tomorrow to pick up your tank they will fill them and then after they have cooled they top em off if you're in ah hurry they give it a bit of extra beef if they don't know you they fill it by the book

Reactions: Jax
Reactions: Jax
Linda's a sweetheart. But it's another case of never let a good deed go unpunished.

It is not a good deed if it is an unwanted fill past service spec without the owner's knowledge. It is his tank. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks an overfill is fine, it is his right to have his gear used and maintained according to spec..

How does one "work harden" a material without plastic deformation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening
Tobin, I certainly don't understand the process, but I do know that Hydro tests are evaluating work hardening in a tank. Those that aren't elastic anymore are condemned. How would you account for this happening? There is a concept of "True Elastic Limit" which suggests that small plastic deformations happen at relatively low pressures and are cumulative. Such is some of the speculation behind SLC in the 6351 alloy.

It is not a good deed if it is an unwanted fill past service spec without the owner's knowledge. It is his tank. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks an overfill is fine, it is his right to have his gear used and maintained according to spec..

I'll grant you that, but it's almost a given that you'll get a cave fill in cave country. It's good she's asking now but she was merely doing what 99.9% of the divers coming in to her shop are expecting.

Long story short: Its fine. Carry on.

Have to agree with AJ.

What you have to be careful with is going to fill stations that routinely fill to 3500 psi plus, and are busy and hooking up hoses,because there is the chance of an AL80 or LP72 get over pressurized - that is a problem.

As others have said it isn't an issue. Just change out your burst disk, plug them, double them up or whatever you want to do. Watch leaving the tanks in the hot sun when they are full. I have seen the o'ring under the valve extrude from getting hot in the sun.

As others have said it isn't an issue. Just change out your burst disk, plug them, double them up or whatever you want to do. Watch leaving the tanks in the hot sun when they are full. I have seen the o'ring under the valve extrude from getting hot in the sun.
Should have been around when Steamboat in Branford had chill fills. The vat was chilled to 40 degrees, and you would get big fill,but those tanks left in the sun would blow burst disks or extrude O-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom