Cayman Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We land on delta on a Wednesday at 12:44, Cayman airways leaves for little cayman at 1:45. Can we make this flight? We have never had much of a wait at GCM especially flying mid week. They say we can catch an earlier flight if we book the 4:45 flight but last couple of trips they haven't been able to move us up. 4 hours at GCM would suck

That's pretty tight. I believe that you will have to go through customs and immigration when you land in GC and then depart to LC via interisland transit (which is usually pretty quick). It could be okay unless you are delayed for some reason.

Did you book the flights separately with each airline or did you let Delta book you all the way through to Little Cayman? If Delta booked you all the way then they will be responsible if you miss your connecting flight. If you booked separately then you may be on your own, but the folks at Cayman Air are usually very nice and they are aware of the schedules of the major flights from the US and I think that they will do their best to accommodate you if there is a delay. You could try calling Cayman Air and asking for their advice and suggestions.

I have spent much longer periods than 4 hours at GCM and it does suck. Four hours isn't really enough time to leave the airport and return so the best you can do is go upstairs to the Hungry Horse and have a few drinks while you are waiting. I have also spent time buying jewelry in the departure shops. But I would rather hang around the airport than risk missing my flight. Have fun!

Last edited:
If everything goes perfect you can make that connection but I would not try it myself. Pretty much anything that would delay you getting into Grand Cayman would cause you to get screwed.

Also, if you are booked on the 1:45 Cayman Air flight and you miss it, there is a chance you won't get on the afternoon flight as they are typically sold out unless it's midweek which in your case it is so you at least have that going for you. But if you miss the 1:45 flight, can't get on an afternoon flight, and bam....you spend the night in GC. I'd much rather book the later flight and hope to get on the early flight than book the early flight and possibly make neither.

Finally, even if you book all the way through with Delta, I don't think Delta will be responsible if you miss the connecting flight if it's because it takes too long to make it through immigration and customs. Not their problem.

I have done this trip many times and always book the later flight. From time to time I have been able to grab an early flight and I consider that a win but if not so be it. Honestly, four hours at the GC airport is not that big of a deal.

I travel through GC airport quite often and would not even think about trying to make a 1 hour connect to the Sister Islands. Around mid day, security can be really backed up. For example: During my most recent trip,a group of 6 women who were ahead of me managed to tie up both security lines as they literally unpacked every one of their numerous carryons at the security tables, searching for the many prohibited items which were scattered within them. Then each took several trips through the body scanner until they had removed all of the offending items that they wore. I don't know which planet they were from, but they all carried US passports. The security people would not let anyone jump ahead, and total elapsed time was at least 10 minutes. I had a 2 hour connect and thought the whole episode was pretty funny, but I am sure that any of the people behind me who had short connects were pretty upset.

...Finally, even if you book all the way through with Delta, I don't think Delta will be responsible if you miss the connecting flight if it's because it takes too long to make it through immigration and customs. Not their problem...

On an previous trip Delta booked us all the way through to Cayman Brac and their computer system prevented the agent from booking a connecting flight that I had requested. She told me that it did not meet their standards for a acceptable connection time and that they would be responsible if we missed the connection.

But I agree that it is safer to allow extra time for the connection even though hanging around the airport is a bore. I have stood in the CI immigration and customs lines for long periods on several occasions.

I agree. If the planets don't align, you will be stuck. Better to book the later flight; and as soon as you get in to GC, and have cleared customs, rush to the Cayman Express check in to see if you can get on the 1.45. If not, lunch and a drink at the Hungry Horse on the second floor of the airport ain't so terrible.

Never had the burger but the wraps are good and there is always a Cayman style food lunch special.
Open air with umbrellas and a view of the planes taking off.

Now this entire conversation has me sad we're not going back this year. We had a group of 32 go last August. It was a bit of a hassle coordinating all the flights on the twin otters but it was well worth it in the end. I do want to check out the Brac resort again after the remodel and would like to give the Cobalt Coast Resort a try now that they have taken ownership of that.

Now this entire conversation has me sad we're not going back this year...

Here's a couple links to help you get your Cayman Fix:

I love the live webcam at Macabuca/Cracked Conch - it looks like a beautiful day!
http://www.crackedconch.com.ky/webcam.php

Also, the Blackbeard's Gold episode of Expedition Unknown is playing on the Travel Channel again this month, see the link below. It is also available for on-demand viewing on Xfinity (Comcast), look for Season 2, Episode 3.

The segment about Brac is definitely a joke and not a genuine treasure hunt, but it is still fun to see some of the sights of the island on TV.

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/expedition-unknown/episodes/blackbeards-hidden-gold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom