Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_3967.jpeg

Good Viz yesterday, this is a screenshot of a flyover video

This morning at Mixing Bowl on Bloody Bay Wall.View attachment 828512
Spectacular picture of Black Durgon. Well done. How shallow was this? It's rare to see coloration like this. Most people have only ever seen "black" ones. Mating behavior, perhaps?

How shallow was this? It's rare to see coloration like this. Most people have only ever seen "black" ones. Mating behavior, perhaps?​
The black durgons were at about 30 feet on the slope that marks the transition from Bloody Bay's hardpan down to Jackson Bay's sand channel...pretty close to being under the Mixing Bowl mooring.

Not wanting to venture a guess between foreplay and fighting, I asked the DM who said it was mating behavior.

The picture is a frame from a ~10 second video (Picture of the Day :p) showing the two black durgons swimming in a circle opposite each other.

I got lucky spotting these...I have way too many pictures of black durgons that turn out to be black disks with fins and two white lines!

1709586708954.png

I wonder if I could get a Fish ID on this one - seen at the Spanish Anchor dive site (West Side). Initial thoughts were Lizardfish but I am leaning more toward it being a Sand Diver, due to the black spot above the gill cover. Thoughts?

View attachment 830088

I wonder if I could get a Fish ID on this one - seen at the Spanish Anchor dive site (West Side). Initial thoughts were Lizardfish but I am leaning more toward it being a Sand Diver, due to the black spot above the gill cover. Thoughts?
Sand diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom