Cebu plan for January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello fellow divers:

We are tentatively planning a 3-week trip to the Phils for some diving, and I'd love to get your feedback to my ideas.

We're planning the trip for January, is this a good time to go there?

Currently we are thinking of four places in three weeks, oriented around Cebu (hopefully we'll get back up to the places near Manila on a second trip :). )

We have in mind: Malapsacua, Dauin (Pura Vida), Moalboal (Kasai Vill.), and one other. Maybe Siplay? (from Daumaguete), Cabilao?, Anda on Bohol? (don't think I want the crowds on Anda either).

We're planning to book through Sea Explorers, because they are reliable (?), and they can arrange the transfers.

We are pretty good divers I suppose you could say, we do struggle with strong currents, and even moderate currents cause us some discomfort, but we're getting better. We have about 200 dives each (and by that time, more) and yes we have AOW -- but I would not call our diving "advanced" in any way.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I hope you are all well, and if a certain politician wins the US Presidency, I am *never* going back!

Thanks,

Bill

Hi there

For us , four places in three weeks would be too much. Malapascua , Dauin and Maolboal are great destinations. But you are acclimitised to the temperture and time zones so you may be Ok. The diving in Anda is not as good as these areas , it's very beautiful and very quiet.

Sea explorers are great , we have stayed and dived with them many times. However their transfers are very very expensive , you may find it easier and cheaper to organize transfers when you are there.

Have a great trip

Jan is usually typhoon free. But the NE Moonsoon can make diving difficult. When this monsoon hits HK the water in places eg PG can be quite rough. I was once kicking me heels for couple of days in Sipalay when the boat couldn't go out in Nov.

No back trekking:
Mactan(optional), Moalboal, Dauin and Sipalay. Fly in at Cebu City and depart from Bacolod.
With a bit of travelling:
Southern Leyte(Tacloban is the port of arrival), Malapascua, Moalboal and finally Dauin.

Have fun.

Hi there

For us , four places in three weeks would be too much. Malapascua , Dauin and Maolboal are great destinations. But you are acclimitised to the temperture and time zones so you may be Ok. The diving in Anda is not as good as these areas , it's very beautiful and very quiet.

Sea explorers are great , we have stayed and dived with them many times. However their transfers are very very expensive , you may find it easier and cheaper to organize transfers when you are there.

Have a great trip

How would we do that Tippy? Just arrive in (say) Malapascua and start asking around? Just a bit concerned about the quality of transport in such a case; of course we would get to see it but we don't necessarily know what we are looking for

Thanks!

Bill

Definitely don't miss Sipalay. Check out Takatuka Dive Resort, crazy decoration and the best food in the PI. It's the only place in the PI we can stay for two weeks and not tire of the food. The diving IMHO is some of the best in that area.

Definitely don't miss Sipalay. Check out Takatuka Dive Resort, crazy decoration and the best food in the PI. It's the only place in the PI we can stay for two weeks and not tire of the food. The diving IMHO is some of the best in that area.
I agree Sipalay can be good, however you need to dive deep for the best places (DaWest or Marco Polo) I don't know whether that's in your normal range of diving Bill (DaWest is a dive site where you go in the blue down on a plateau to 40m, hence very little bottom time even with Nx28), no currents but deep.
Otherwise I was not so flabbergasted with the other sites in Sipalay. Easy Diving is nice choice too, SwissGerman hence no surprizes, good food on the PI scale very nice bungalows but you gotta love climbing stairs.

This is the kind of fishlife you can find on DaWest/Sipalay

Moalboal is not bad for fish either

Thanks for all your comments.

We decided to put off our Phils exploration until the Spring due to (ahem) finances. I think my wife may get some dive time near Manila on her family trip in Dec. Puerto Galera and/or Anilao?

I'm still interested in how to do any transfers on the cheap. And, of course, the on-going discussion of which locations is always of interest....we don't dive below 30m.....

- Bill

1. From Manila, Anilao is closer with no water to cross. The place is great for macro while PG has a bit more on varieties. Check the pricing first in Anilao.
2. Transfer on the cheap = public(slow and tedious).

Cebu Pacific has twice weekly flight between MNL and DPS. Keep your eye on its special promotion(best is to register with them first). It can be as much as P1.00 each way(tax excluded)!!!!
There are frequent buses running eg from Buen Dias Bus Terminals(JAM, Gold Star) to Batangas every 30mins from early in the morning for P166.00 one way.

We now plan to go in May for about three weeks.

On the agenda will likely be:

Malapascua (5 or so days)
Cabilao (5 days)
Dauin (4 - 5 days)
Moalboal (3 - 5 days)

...plus transfers, so a total of up to 25 days.

I have to check to see if any of those are solely or mostly macro-muck. We are OK with diving in sand or junk once in a while, as long as it's not every day and we can see stuff (with our EYES). We don't go below 30m and we don't like washing-machine currents.

- Bill & Emily

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom