Cheap Dive light recommendation for night dive (xtar d06)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puncho

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap dive light (<$100) that is good for night diving/tropical water. I already have a fantasea 1600 lumen video light so Would want one that either uses 18650 batteries or aa/aaa. Also, adjustable brightness would be nice (e.g. 100%, 50, etc)

so far I'm leaning towards the xtar d06. Adjustable brightness up to 800+ lumens which makes it good for looking under crevices in daylight as well. Dgx 600/dris 1000 seem popular but too powerful and not adjustable in brightness. Any other ideas? What about cheap ebay lights?

I'm a huge fan of anything brinyte. Unfortunately most dives I've used have been pretty focused, and the adjustable lights don't seem quite as reliable as the single switch ones.

I have the XTAR D35. Not a cheap light but, very impressed with XTAR and their product!

I'm also a fan of XTAR products. The D06 is a nice dive light and fits the Oxycheq light socks. The also make some of the best battery chargers. Just wish they would come out with a video light.

I have one of these and find it to be a very good high quality light. I may end up getting another one. It uses 18650 batts. Good for primary (I'm guessing 450-550 lumens) or secondary light.

Archon 10

Do a search as you may be able to find it cheaper. I paid $33 for mine...

I'm also a fan of XTAR products. The D06 is a nice dive light and fits the Oxycheq light socks. The also make some of the best battery chargers. Just wish they would come out with a video light.

+1 for this light.

It's small, bright, tough, has adjustable brightness, takes 18650s, and on ebay it is well within your price range. I know a lot of divers who use them for their primary lights in cold, murky water. You shouldn't trust lumen ratings, especially from Chinese makers, but I've seen the D06 shine at least as bright as other "1000lm" lights, though it is rated around 820lm.

If you're going to wear it on your hand in a light sock, I would pass on the one from dive gear express. Mine is tearing apart after only about a dozen dives.

A couple of my friends have had their D06's die by flooding recently. Remember to toothbrush the threads and o-rings periodically to keep them free of grit, and regularly apply a tiny amount of silicon lube to the rings. Also helps to get extra rings from an xtar distributor so you can change them when they eventually start to fray.

Back
Top Bottom