Chowder Bay Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sashkello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, fellow Aussies!

I've heard (and read) lots of good stuff about Chowder Bay (Sydney), and after browsing some amazing photos online finally got over there last weekend to check it out. Since me and my wife are "expecting", diving is off the list for now, so we limit ourselves to snorkeling. Nevertheless, I read it's good for snorkeling as well and either side near the nets or the pier should be awesome.

However, it ended up with a disappointment. We saw literally nothing... OK, almost literally. Over a 45 minute swim I managed to find three (!) fishes (nothing new, a goby and a couple of butterflyfishes). I eyeballed the net for seahorses, inspected the overgrown bridge columns, even spent some time over the grassy floor closer to the shore: nothing there... Visibility was quite poor, but I still didn't expect it to be so overwhelmingly... lonely?

So, my question to those who have been there: what were we doing wrong? Is it the wrong spot (we were within the net enclosure)? Or should we have timed it to get there at incoming tide? Something else? Or is it all deeper down and unavailable for snorkelers? Share your advice, please, I'm feeling like we're missing out on a great experience, and I don't know why...

We tend to dive outside the nets. The bulk of the seahorses are on the pilons under the end of the pier. I wouldn't choose that site for snorkeling. The problem is that the fishermen on the warf/pier do not appreciate activities that will scare away "Their fish". someone on the surface is at risk of running afoul of a lead sinker, hook or coping abuse from the fishermen.

The creatures there tend to be hard to see and deeper so the chances of seeing anything snorkeling is pretty unlikely IMHO. You would be much better to try snorkeling at Shelly Beach, Manly Cabbage Tree Bay. The best side for snorkleing I suggest would be the Fairy Bower side to the left of the bay if you enter at the boat ramp. Critters there are plentiful and used to swimmers, snorklers and divers so you should be able to see heaps. There is a great keyosk there for a coffee and lunch as well. A nice day out.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, we snorkeled (and dived) Shelly Beach more than a dozen times already, so while it's probably the best snorkeling spot in Sydney, we kind of wanted to try something different. Pity Chowder Bay isn't good for snorkeling, they do seem to advertise it on webpage and signs around the bay.

Have you tried snorkeling at Bare Island or Grdon's Bay.. both would be better options than Clifton Gardens (Chowder bay)

Have you tried snorkeling at Bare Island or Grdon's Bay.. both would be better options than Clifton Gardens (Chowder bay)

Yep, tried both. They are a bit far from us (we're in the north). Bare Island was OK, although it seems like there's not much to see apart from directly under the bridge. Gordon's Bay is a great spot for sure!

At Bare Island along the landwall if you go down the trail to the left just before you get to the bridge if you get in and head towards Congwong Bay when you get to the shallow sand flats there is a stingray nursery I have seen huge numbers of small rays settled on the sand out there.

Bare has lots of stuff but I would suspect not as good for snorkeling altho I would follow the land walls there are huge nunbers of old wives, mado and things along the landwall and over the shallow reef to the right of the bridge.

Thanks for the advice, we'll keep it in mind! Going diving at Bare Island was in our plans for long, will surely do that once we have an opportunity :)

Visibility isn't great during summer. In winter I've had 15m vis there. But it's still good fungi slow down and looks at the pylons in more detail

Jane Jenkins got video of seahorse giving birth at Chowder Bay a couple days ago... amazing luck to be in the right place at the right time and going slow enough to spot it!

728-2668- (Small).jpg
728-2671- (Small).jpg
We did an hour and 45 there today. Viz was the best either of us have seen there EVER! Nice dive. Only saw 2 other divers the entire time.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom