Chumming/Baiting for Shark Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Bite Victim: 'Shark Mistook Me For Fish' - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

Abernethy is well known in the diving world. He has been lauded for teaching people about the underwater world and criticized for his method of baiting and feeding sharks to bring them closer to humans.

People should not feed and bait sharks. It makes it dangerous for them and for other divers who might not have the bait and feed the sharks have come to expect.

USBB:

With all due respect, I think you are incorrect. I just returned from Tiger Beach a week ago from a trip with Dolphin Dreams. (Jim's boat was about a mile from us at one point). We had 20-30 sharks per dive, including lemon, tiger, reef, nurse, and great hammerhead.

Bait is placed in plastic "milk" crates, more for scent than a meal. There is very little difference between this and a large dead fish or mammal. Shark attacks and fatalities are extremely rare, and are usually mistakes. Please see attached from a book I am currently reading.

I chose to go with a different operator largely because Dolphin Dreams is a better, more modern boat for photographers. The operations are both extremely professional and relatively safe if you follow protocols.

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• 01_Shark_Attacks.jpg
    01_Shark_Attacks.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 353
The bait or scent draws the animal to the site thinking that it will get a meal. However you are accomplishing that, the hungry animal thinks there is a pretty good chance dinner is on the way. It is my opinion that you are lying to the animal in hopes of drawing close for your own amusement.

The animal as I stated early is drawn to the site in hope of a meal. Fatalities are rare. I still don't think it makes for a great practice. We can agree to disagree on that one.

So you attract sharks to an area where they expect a meal and don't feed them.
Thereby the shark waste precious energy hunting for food that's not there for the purpose of human entertainment?
Why not just go to an aquarium? Your eyes are separated by a barrier either way.

Personally I'd like to see a shark by chance instead of luring one over. The thrill is probably much better.

I can see the point of making it more certain that people you're trying to show sharks to the end of appreciation and having them and the governments that enjoy tourist income support protections. But it feels wrong to me. It's not quite like feeding bears in a park. Bears are much easier to protect, and there are a LOT of people hanging out, camping, etc., and bears are very quick to adopt human food and waste as an easy meal and are (along with humans and pigs) omnivores and just acting naturally when they break into human food stores and just as naturally if they chow down on a human. On a more fundamental level, it's altering a wild animal's natural behavior, which is most often not a good thing to do. I quess it depends on whether you buy the reason and think that it helps to that end and makes it worth doing.

I don't care for baiting sharks, I want to see them too but not in a canned environment.

It is just like the fools who run the buflaoo in out west and wonder why there is a movement to ban snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and dirt bikes from the parks. Sometimes the calories those animals expend and the added stress makes the difference as to whether they live or die. If you rest and admire a majestic creature, don't do it possible harm or place it in a precarious position just so you can "respect" and "admire" it.

Exactly! If you artificially bait and feed sharks and get bit, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you.

I think I agree with the shark on this one....

This is a subject I have huge interest in due to my specialities on shark attack and shark behaviour and although I would also rather encounter sharks in a totally natural scenario I have to say that...

The anti-shark feeding movement hugely misses the point and bases it's argument on heresay, myths and mis-information.

Sharks do not associate humans as food due to shark feeding.

Shark behaviour is not being altered, it is perfectly natural behaviour for a scavenger to make the benefit of an easy meal.

Sharks do not expend unneccessary energy sourcing an attractant any more than they would through being attracted by a speared fish.

Since shark feeding has become more widespread with more people getting closer to sharks than ever, incidents of shark bites continue to decline on average.

Sharks are intelligent animals, the decision to predate often requires a number of factors being considered, 400 million years of evolution and we suddenly decide they aren't intelligent enough to understand what their normal prey and predatory behaviour is?

Ever since man has used the ocean, sharks have equated boats with the possibility of an easy meal.

A shark attracted to an area because of a stimulus such as scent will not start indiscriminately biting people in the area unless otherwise encouraged to do so due to a fault on behalf of the diver.

Shark diving operations are absolutely the best chance sharks have of widespread protection, they encourage conservation through economic benefit to often poor areas through jobs, training schemes and the infux of tourist money spent throughout businesses and services in the area, that money relies on a healthy population of sharks to attract those tourists. If it pays, it stays. It's not ideal, regular feeding can aggregate individual sharks to an area and could suffer from visiting fishermen, however, through an aggregated population of healthy sharks, it becomes more achievable to attain protected marine reserves where fishermen cannot enter.

In an ideal world there would be locations where we could dive and be guaranteed shark encounters, however, due to the negative impact we have had on the world's oceans, those locations are extremely hard to find so specific feeding locations where people can be guranteed shark encounters are the next best thing because when people get that first shark encounter they're changed forever, almost every single one in a positive way in favour of shark conservation.

I agree things could be done better but in removing shark diving operations, it opens the door fro the other shark based commercial opportunities, i.e. fishing, either indistrial or on a smaller scale and that would be catastrophic for sharks the world over.

There is a hige amount of misinformation about shark feeding propogated by a sensationalist media and by those with little to no understanding of shark behaviour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom