Chuuk (Truk), Palau, Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a matter of common decency. No one wants the graves of their ancestors molested. I certainly wouldn't want someone bouncing my mothers skull around even though she's been dead for many years.
Sure, I guess I can agree that I don't "want" the graves of my ancestors molested, but I could care less if you do. Have at it. My mom was cremated, but I'll give you some of her ashes if you want to try bouncing those.

The Japanese government (I have no idea what division) filed a formal protest against one of the leading dive operations in Chuuk about 3 years ago. I was there when the bureau of tourism on Chuuk held mandatory training sessions for all dive operators and guides. We were told this was very close to being an international incident and was taken to the U.N. Obviously things like this don't get the headlines of war events but it did happen and it was sad. Several Japanese families are very active in protecting their loved ones graves.
An international incident? That's pretty bold. Didn't they realize how the bones got there in the first place? I don't recall that the Chuukese invited the Japanese into the lagoon. If I were Chuukese, I'd have furniture made from Japanese bones and sit on them every day.

I guess it's pretty obvious that bad things happen during wars but there is no reason for us to act so uncivilized after the fact. Again, these are graves not playgrounds or entertainment centers.
Sorry, but Truk Lagoon doesn't attract thousands of divers a year to visit graves. It attracts thousands of divers a year to dive on the playgrounds of the wrecks, certainly the most entertaining entertainment centers of Chuuk unless you're into cock fights.

"Over 120 Chuukese were killed and/or wounded during the war. Most Chuukese had been forced to leave their homes to accommodate over 10,000 Japanese Army personnel. The Japanese military confiscated local food as imported food could not get through the submarine blockade. The continual bombing destroyed local crops and it made it difficult to farm on land as well as collect fish. While Chuukese labourers were once paid, they were now forced into slave labour to construct the many military facilities. Starvation and malnutrition became common, and torture and cannibalism was said to have occurred. Turner and Falgout in their paper Time Traces: Cultural Memory and World War II in Pohnpei, state "Those who experienced the intense suffering during the Japanese military buildup and the American campaign describe it as the greatest hardship they ever endured." "

War in the Pacific NHP: War in Paradise

So why not praise them and give them burials meant for exalted royalty?

Thanks deepstops for the trip report- videos were interesting as well Pete.

Everything is kind of set now w/ flights, etc. - off in a week. Have kind of mapped out the dives based on all the responses so thanks a ton! Although would like to dive every day, I am not sure my wife would appreciate a trip without me - I am going to drop an ipad on her right before we leave so that should win some brownie points.

We have planned some land tours (Truk Island, Palau Rock Island/Jellyfish lake, Peleliu, Yap cultural & WWII relics) so we have other stuff outside of the diving. Flights are at 4pm from Truk to Palau and 1am from Palau to Yap so only really loosing 1/2 day on Truk for the whole trip with the 3 islands.

Figure once I am there can try and squeeze in some additional dives, just don't want to push the diving / flying.

Thanks again for all the responses -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom