Clam Rating Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery!!!
It was there that I got the idea of making lobster hot dogs...

One month I did a cross-country jaunt checking out the different clam chowders around the country.
I was very pleasantly surprised to find some razor clam chowder at the SEATAC airport, of all places.
They managed to put a heap on the bowl.
Clam Chowder Recipes
(check out the "Northwoods" variety, made with inland clams & wild rice)

Thanks Scubagypsy and Bob3. I will have to update the .pdf. Always appreciate knowin' where the best clams are & aren't!

Cheers,

X

I back up pdive's recommendation regarding the Lobster Pool. Not just clams, but everything we've had there has been quite tasty and reasonably priced for the area. I've got to recommend the blueberry pie as well. Much better atmosphere than some of the others as well, especially if it's nice enough to eat outside.
Jim

I am adding to the guide. The Lobster Pool is certainly a nice place to go after a dive and it's a mere one minute from Folly's Cove!!! They have outdoor seating and if you have a dog pal - both of you can enjoy yourselves! :D

The number #1 clam belly place (for now) is the Red Skiff in Rockport. The cook/owner there knows how to select and cook them. All I can say is that I am glad the winter season is over and the Red Skiff is back online. What makes the bellies there great is flavor, the delicate texture of the batter, selection of clams (full of ocean goodness), non-oily characteristic and excellent service from the staff. If you can find parking in Rockport /Bearskin Neck it's a great place to get lunch, or a casual dinner.

The Red Skiff Restaurant - menu

Good dining,

X

This has nothing to do with clams. Wanted to see how to insert a picture inside the text box without having to attach the photo as I've been doing previously. The photo is a still from HD on a plane recovery I was involved in a few years ago. Can't say more than that other than it was a lot of hard work. Cold, dark and interesting.

PlaneRecovery.jpg

Cheers,

X

Ill second Porgy's recommendation although they are a bit cheap with the clams on the plate. But they were tasty tonight and good onion rings too.

I've always been a fan of Essex Seafood on 133 in Essex. It's good food, reasonably priced and has very casual atmosphere (I've been there numerous times in my drysuit undergarments). Another perk is that often times doesn't have the crowds that Woodmans or Farnhams have. Of course now that I've told y'all this I'm going to have to find a new place for my clams :D

Hey X.....On the way to the Cape...Lobster Pot...Wareham....Great fried clams...Chowder...everythin!!!

I am currently rating Lobster Pot #2 vs the Red Skiff. :thumb: Excellent service from a very polite and helpful young staff + clam bellies (normal size) which are coated with a light batter. Some variables might be time of the year when clams are harvested, size of bellies (extra ocean flavor) and of course - cooking expertise. The casual atmosphere of the place is great and I even got a couple of T Shirts! :D

The funny thing about Lobster Pot is that I have been passing it by for years and years when I go to Buzzards, or Woods Hole! Thanks for the heads-up Porgy!:thumbs-up

942_1395.jpg

942_1397.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom