Classic maldives itinerary jan - april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Roo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
good day everyone,

looking to do my first maldives lob next year, have been quoted the following and my question is for those who have been there at this time, are the following dive sites good for whale shark and manta sightings?

North Malé Atoll
Rasdhoo Atoll
North Ari Atoll
South Ari Atoll
South Malé Atoll
Vaavu Atoll

also any particular dive sites i should ensure we do going to these atolls?

thanks in advance.

That's the perfect itinerary for a first time lob to the Maldives. Its sometimes called 'Best of Maldives' or 'Central Atolls'.

Personally, I don't think Maldives is a great whale shark destination. I think I saw my first one on my 10th visit! There is a place on S Ari where most lob's go looking for them, but its snorkelling not diving & there can by 50+ dive bombing snorkellers from nearby resorts - so not that great an experience.

A good lob will offer a few manta cleaning stations on that itinerary - no problem.

You asked for 'don't miss' sites on that itinerary - the first 3 that come to mind are Maaya Thila, Fish Head & Rasdhoo Madivaru. note, they always promote Rasdhoo Madivaru as a hammerhead dive. It really is most unlikely that you'll see hammerheads, but don't worry. Its the most beautiful underwater landscape with great fish life. Its one of my favourite dives.

Which lob are you thinking of? Maldives diving is massively improved by dive guides with good local knowledge. The dive sites vary greatly over short periods of time. Not all the lobs have the best dive guides.

thanks for your reply,

We are looking to travel on the emperor voyager.

sorry forgot to say in the original post it will be late march

Hello Rusty,
firstly - congratulations on your decision to visit Maldives. it is fabulous!

i've recently returned to US after a year long gig as an instructor for a couple of different resorts (Viceroy at Shaviyani Atoll and Hilton-Conrad at South Ari Atoll).

the Shaviyani Atoll is north of Male and Ari Atoll is to the south.

There are over a thousand resorts of variety levels, independent dive operators and live-aboards all over Maldives, so it is hard to say with any degree of accuracy where in those atolls, you've specified, you're excursion will take you. Also, the season is of great importance when looking for whale-sharks. it was part of my job to take out guests from Conrad-Hilton resort to the southern most plateau of Ari Atoll nearly everyday to experience whales sharks. Some days we saw multiple whale-sharks and others none - that was June-July time frame. The whale-sharks come up from the deep near the plateau's edge to warm themselves.

it is worth noting that northern atolls, as a general rule, do not get as many large pelagic fish, such as whale-sharks or mantas until later in the season (the large pelagic fish migrate up north with the change of wind and monsoon - also nutrients). So if you are traveling in March/April the northern Atolls on your list will probably not be as fruitful in detecting whale-sharks as the southern atolls. Your best bet for whale-shark sighting is probably in south Ari atoll.

The trade winds shift from north easterly to the opposite direction starting mid-late April to October(ish), this means you will enjoy fairly good whether both in northern and southern atolls. I am only aware of the two atolls where i have worked, but of the two, the southern Ari atoll is by far the better of the two. it is also widely recognized among the instructor circuit as the place to teach for the experience. I am sure the other places are great diving as well - im just passing on what i have experienced and what was "considered" a rule of thumb.

Chances are you will see your whale-shark. Also i would be surprised if you don't see Mantas, eagle rays, sting rays, variety of sharks, oriental sweetlips, trevallys, tunas and thousands of fusiliers on every dive (just what comes to mind right-now).

if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

i hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did.
Joseph MSDT, 174785
CA, USA

a mis-type... "starting mid-late March to October(ish)"
that should be mid-late April to October, not March - sorry!

good day everyone,

looking to do my first maldives lob next year, have been quoted the following and my question is for those who have been there at this time, are the following dive sites good for whale shark and manta sightings?

North Malé Atoll
Rasdhoo Atoll
North Ari Atoll
South Ari Atoll
South Malé Atoll
Vaavu Atoll

also any particular dive sites i should ensure we do going to these atolls?

We are looking to travel on the emperor voyager.

Hi Rusty Liam Booth,
in regards to your question about particular dive sites. Mantas and whale sharks encounter is the common reason for most divers to dive in Maldives. So, we'd recommend to rely on the experience of the crew. This itinerary (Best of Maldives) includes large selection of dive sites and they usually try to select the best ones to ensure meeting mantas at the cleaning stations (99% probability to meet) and whale sharks (less chances).

Emperor Voyager is a good choice. We've got a couple of reviews about Emperor Voyager this February, which are verified. So may be it can help you to decide. Wishing you the great journey!

hi

what are u saying about this plan for end of april? a freind of mine was with them on february and was very disapointed from diving sites, and the cru as well

Attachments

• Tour Itenarary (2).pdf
    231.7 KB · Views: 145
Hi

what are you saying about thoes sites in the end af April? a freind of mine was with them in february and was very disapinted from the diving sites (aut of 18 3 were good) and of the crue as well

thanks for replay

Attachments

• Tour Itenarary (2).pdf
    231.7 KB · Views: 94

Back
Top Bottom