Cleaning a wetsuit? wetsuit shampoo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
Eponym...just curious, what exactly is a hydroperoxyl addict? HO²?
03.gif
A typo, is what it is. Been waiting for someone to pick up on that. As far as I can tell, custom titles were turned off just after I carelessly slapped that onto my profile, so I've been unable to correct or delete it.

Should be DHMO, dihydrous monoxide, of course. It's a factor in the lion's share of boating accidents--ask any Coast Guardsman.

-Bryan

eponym:
Should be DHMO, dihydrous monoxide, of course. It's a factor in the lion's share of boating accidents--ask any Coast Guardsman.

-Bryan

I'm pretty sure you're right on this one :D

Shampoo from Wal-mart. cheaper and better. Now, my suits smell apple. Last one was strawberry...

The odor that is being caused from you wetsuit is caused by bacteria. rinsing will help, detergant is the kiss of death for neoprene, and wal-mart strawberry shampoo will only make you smell like a strawberry. To get rid of the smell, you must kill the bacteria on the suit. Hence, using an antibacterial like Listerine, is safe, effective, and VERY inexpensive!!! You can even use the Wal Mart brand. I refuse to use products like Stink in the Sink.

May your suit be kissing breathe fresh!!
SWT

krick:
How do people here clean their wetsuits?
I've had another thought on this . . . instead of STS, I'm going to try (after this weekend's dives) something I've used for quite a while that is great at taking out stains and odors from our rugs (we have a small nervous dog). It's called "Nature's Miracle" and I got a quart bottle of it at the pet food store for less than ten dollars.

:11:..... Listerine huh????
I'll have to give it a try!!!!
Approximatly how much listerine should you use( ratios) and you just put it in the final rinse??

Is it safe to use the listerine final rinse on all other scuba gear??? bc, reg,mask, etc.
thanks

Personally, for my boots, I use Dettol. It's a highly concentrated, and incredibly effective, antiseptic/antibacterial that will kill anything microbial that even thinks of going near it. I pour a capful into each boot, add hot water, and walk away. In the morning I empty each boot, refill with fresh hot water a few times, sometimes let the last refill sit for a bit, and there you go. No additional perfumes added but its normal odor isn't (to my nose) all that unpleasant. And not a hint of musty-dive-feet afterwards. In fact it takes a while for the sweaty feet odor to return.

I read the recommendation for its use on a freediving message board - the spearfishers like it because although we humans can smell it, apparently fish cannot..... plus it masks the odor of Human Hunting Fish quite effectively (apparently).

Found at Canadian and British drug stores/pharmacies. For some odd reason it wasn't available in the States when the spearos were posting about it - although things may have changed.

Edit: forgot to add that I do indeed periodically soak my entire wetsuit in a Dettol solution as well - I fill a wash tub with hot awter, pile in teh neoprene, and add about 2 or 3 capfuls of Dettol. (lighter concentration than the boots use)

saltwater taffy:
I refuse to use products like Stink in the Sink.

WT

Why? I used to know the guy who invented it--he was a regular on Compuserve's scuba forum for a long time and I met him in Florida.

Robin

Stay very, very well hydrated. As the old saying goes "dilution is the solution". Rinse your suit out as soon as possible in order to keep smells from getting set in the neoprene.

Most of the time, I find that a fresh water rinse and a good drying is enough.

Next level of treatment is just Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Only if that doesn't work, do I pull out the Sink the Stink, since I'm not a fan of its smell.

----------------

I have trouble with foul smelling booties because they never get a chance to dry. On a trip to a humid place, I'll take 2 sets of booties so they get a chance to dry, and also clean them out with a few drops of baby shampoo when rinsing gear.

On occasion, I'll take some chlorinated water from a spa or from highly diluted bleach to get rid of the musty smell. So far, I've never had to get this agressive with a wetsuit.

I have been washing my freediving wetsuit in the washer on a gentle setting with about 1/2 the normal laundry detergent for a typical load, and I have never had a problem, over several years. Sometimes you have to re-rinse it in the bathtub to get all the soapy water off it, before you hang it over the shower pole to dry. Same thing, for my 3mm warm water suit. The thick suit is a BodyGlove. The 3mm is a ScubaPro. They are both made well, and take the agitation well, with really clean results. Same thing, for the gloves, boots, and hoods (wetsuit hoods and drysuit hoods).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom