Clipping Reel To Bc During Dsmb Use Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
I'm sure that title got someone's attention. :)

I know clipping a reel to your BC during and after a DSMB deployment is a bad idea. During deployment can be dangerous because the line could foul and pull you up and after deployment because if a boat were to pick up your line in the prop you are going to be in for a dangerous wild ride. That said, what about using some sort of breakaway release clip? I don't think it would work well with a spool during deployment because once you clip it off it would stop the line release.

So, I'll lay out a scenario... You are set to ascend from a dive and begin to deploy a DSMB. Something happens which requires the use of both hands; however, perhaps you're in a current or near a lot of boat traffic and really need to maintain that marker, but also need both hands free. I realize you could carry a backup reel/spool, but at some point the amount of gear you're carrying is just too much. So rather than let go of your reel/marker and pray, why not clip the reel off to a BC D ring with a breakaway clip?

I'm thinking something like a outrigger release clip mounted to the reel handle or a rodeo breakaway honda release clip. This way with enough tension, if a boat just so happened to run over your line at the worst possible time at least it wouldn't pull you up. Plus you could still just yank it off you if need be.

Here's some examples, but I'd like to hear the boards thoughts, good/bad or alternatives.
image.jpg
image.jpg

If your SMB got snagged by a moving boat there is likely only a 25% change that it would be pulled away from you in a safe direction. IMHO, its likely that would get the line wrapped around you where you would get: a) That wild ride anyway b) spun around like a top during said ride c) Injured by the line constricting around you d) separated from you buddy

No thanks.. I will keep a hand-hold on my reel/smb. Or rely on teamwork with my buddy to handle task loading issues.

I think that if you are doing something quickly and need both hands there is no issue with clipping your reel off to a D-ring, but that is temporary and not just hanging on your line by a clip.

Something happens which requires the use of both hands

I'm trying to think of something that would need both hands.....getting/cutting out of a tangle with fishing line, etc., but that isn't likely to happen when I'm well above the bottom....can't think of anything else. Can anyone help me out ?

Another good question and I am interested in the responses. I use a side handle reel and when I have needed two hands and hold the reel I reverse my grip on the handle and that leaves my fingers free to use.

I think once deployed and stable it would be a low risk choice for dealing with an issue but my gut reaction is not to do it. Of course, the situation dictates the action. One thing to keep in mind is that if the seas are "sporty" you might me in for a bit of a ride.

Last edited:
I use a snap shackle for anything like this where I want a secure connection that can be quickly released regardless of how much load is on the item. Stainless Steel Shackles & Swivel Marine Fixings There are a few examples on this page. This is what commercial divers use to connect their umbilical to their harness in the event they need to bailout.

I'm trying to think of something that would need both hands.....getting/cutting out of a tangle with fishing line, etc., but that isn't likely to happen when I'm well above the bottom....can't think of anything else. Can anyone help me out ?
Easy. Free flow regulator comes to mind immediately.

Mask removal and replace would/could require both hands. The point being, if you are clipped to your SMB for 10-15sec I think that is manageable. But, if you just hook it to a D-Ring and ride the line while waiting that would/could be bad..

I'm sure that title got someone's attention. . . . I know clipping a reel to your BC during and after a DSMB deployment is a bad idea. . . . why not clip the reel off to a BC D ring with a breakaway clip?
Certainly, you are free to use whatever tools you feel are appropriate to manage the tasks involved in your dives. I am (really) averse to clipping any line / flotation device (such as a lift bag or DSMB) to my body. My aversion increase exponentially in a situation where there may be surface traffic that could snag the device or line. That is just me. I carry back-up surface signaling devices and reels. I have never had a situation where I had to sacrifice one of them, in order to use two hands. Interestingly, however, I have had a situation where I had to sacrifice a jon line that I was trying to deploy, in a strong current where I had an immediate need for two hands. In that case I simply endured my remaining dive time as a waving flag in the water until my deco obligation was met.

l have seen other divers briefly release the line, make adjustments, then grab the line back. I think this, again given the circumstances, would be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom