Cobia And Clear Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A couple clips from recent snorkeling trip off Palm Beach. Even with two shafts in the fish, they can be a challenge.

We attract sharks with a stinger of flashers and chum and then try to pick off a cobia that schools with the sharks.

Neat. All the more impressive free diving. I'm surprised the bull (?) sharks don't quickly detect the cob are wounded, turn and snatch them.

Richard.

They do occasionally, but generally not. If it were a different fish like a jack, the sharks act much different. The cobia school with the sharks - very similar to remora and my theory is that the sharks are just used to the cobia being around them- so they are not targeted as a food item so quickly.

My teenage son was the one who made the shot, it occurs too deep and too far away laterally to see. That part of the clip only shows part of his ascent. After a few moments, the cobia decided to swim straight upward, which they often do ..sometimes with sharks following them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom