CoCo View Fans and CoCoNuts - Why do you go back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering Roatan and CoCo View for a possible trip next February. I have been to Roatan and stayed at Anthony's Key, so I am generally familiar with Roatan, the no-see-ums, and the diving there. I am looking for some insight on CCV in particular. I have seen many positive reviews of CoCo View on the board and elsewhere and understand that lots of people go back year after year. I know that the resort has great shore diving in its "front yard," a highly rated dive op, and generally gets kudos for good service. Are there other reasons you go back? For example, I have been to Cozumel several times, at least partly because it is easy to get there (one of the few dive destinations for which I can get direct flights from Detroit), it's a good bargain, the diving is great, and I think the town is fun. But I also like to go other places for variety. Do those of you who repeat at CoCo View take two or more dive trips a year and go somewhere else as well? If not, why go to CCV and not someplace on Bonaire, Cozumel, Cayman Brac, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help!

divingjd:
Do those of you who repeat at CoCo View take two or more dive trips a year and go somewhere else as well? If not, why go to CCV and not someplace on Bonaire, Cozumel, Cayman Brac, etc.?

I have been to CCV some 27 times, give or take, most of them for two weeks at a time. (I look at the cost of air and the hassle of packing- two weeks makes sense for me)

I just got back from the Red Sea in July, we (me and "herself") will be off to the Philippines in September. She has about 175 logged and her dive experience vs. vacation time means that our return trips to CCV will be limited. She has had her "Tenth CCV Trip is Free" certificate for over a year- and it's burning a hole in her pocket. She has not seen Bonaire and I hope to take her to that jewell before returning to CCV. The ones you mention are interesting, but we have been to others in the Caribbean, even more vacation time worthy!

Why do we keep going back to CCV?

It's "home".

You see a lot of the same people, just by showing up and sitting down for the first night's meal. It attracts a level of diver that is quite advanced, yet unusually sociable and willing to share with newbies if asked. They take a possessive interest in the place, that is- the reef- that make buoyancy and no-touch a big priority.

The Resort's long standing approach to reef preservation is unique on the island. It held itself to the absolute letter (and beyond) of the rules for visiting the over-hyped Mary's Place. CCV runs boats very far East, delights unknown by most who visit Roatan. Calvin's Crack and beyond. Dolphins are seen in the wild pretty much so every week. Go and snorkel with them.

The South side location is part of the magic. The South side has a continuous cooling SSE breeze, which knocks the sand flies back. CCV sits on its own private ten acre key, so security is a non-issue... you will see no-one other than staff and guests, yet if you still believe that there is something attractrive about the West End, you can cab-it over and partake. I see no great draw. Talk to other CCV regulars at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv

CCV is a diver's place. Not for non-divers, not for children. Snorkelers, and I mean serious snorkelers, can be entertained for a week. Non-diving companions that figure that they will be entertained by dabbling in snorkeling are often disappointed. There is very little other than diving on Roatan, do not be deluded.

The South side is marked by shallow walls that break in 5 to 15fsw and drop straight to 90fsw sand bottom. The walls are lush with the largest variety of soft and hard corals as well as sponges found anywhere in the Caribbean. In this dense growth you will find a nursery and sanctuary for the macro and juvenile. On the North side, they have established a conservation zone- this makes it easier for less advanced divers to see the same stuff they have seen elsewhere, making their dive trip a "success".

This is only available if you have a highly skilled DM that knows where the critters are. CCV has the best of the best. You should perfect your buoyancy (a subject that is hyper important in the well regarded on-site PADI Dockside Dive Center). This is where serious photographers go on Roatan. Look at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html and page through the "previous weeks".

The "Front Yard" as you mention, bears explanation. This dive is 1/2 the distance from CCV as it might be FIBR, additionaly it is through much clearer water. From the steps of your over the water room, there is essentially an anchor chain path laid out that will direct you to the Prince Albert Wreck in 35-65fsw. You simply can not get lost. Many new divers rail about the "orientation dive". This first dive isn't a mask clearing exercise, it is a reminder that everything in the Front Yard is absolutely defined by easy to spot landmarks.

This makes it ideal for night dives. Once you get past whatever keeps you out of the water at night, you are reassured that you will never get lost- you know the easy landmarks. You can find the 140' ship, you know where the DC3 is, you can find your way along the walls. I do a night dive (or two) every night. I am a very conservative diver but I have no problem doing solo night dives in the front yard.

The rooms are largely out on posts over a live, changing reef. They have been remodeled in the last few years with the addition of a/c, and in my opinion, this was a big mistake as it has lost much of the feel of the Robinson Crusoe, "I am one with the reef" feel. Windows do that. Otherwise, you will hear people either decry or hail them as rustic. They work for us.

The food? As good as or better than the other "big three". Why people don't like it: It is not served by waiters so it isn't as pretty. It's family style. Come in, eat, go back to diving. At CCV meals are considered a necessary evil, a fuel stop. You may propose marriage to the deserts chef. At AKR you have to catch a boat, then walk up 85 steps to meals. CCV is essentialy handicapped accessable. FIBR boasts table service and cloth settings. You will have a very long time to enjoy them, service is designed to appeal to Europeans and South Americans... as is their dive day. Understand how they operate before you go.

When "Northers" come in, the North side resorts are shut down. AKR will indeed move you around to the South to dive.

If the wind and waves get rough on the S Side, CCV still sends out the boats. They have unique center holes, moon wells, with ladders that allow you to re enter from below and the center of the boat. The wet room gear lockers are perfection as are the rinse tanks. AKR has ProDiv boats which are excellent for their conditions. CCV's boats were hand built customs that are all fiberglass and have reserved areas for photographers plus no-slosh rinse tanks. They are spacious and under-populated running at 70% capacity. FIBR copied the boats, kind of, and you'd have to try them both before you would understand. FIBR leaves a lot of exposed wood, thus inviting voracious sand fleas on the boat.

It's just one of those things you'll have to experience.

CCV is a standard by which I compare all other dive resorts. There is "better" diving at some other places in the Caribbean, but I have yet to find any better resort based shore dive, and I've done most all of the big ones. As far as a resort itself, the physical set up of CCV sets the standard.

Thanks for the great response, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I was hoping I would get some good insights from you. Sounds to me like the orientation dive may be a great litmus test. It sounds like a great approach to me and an indication of a top-notch and well-thought out dive operation. Again, I appreciate the good comments!

Doc has pretty much summed it up...not much to add...Hi Doc saw your trip report on the Red Sea....I hope to run into you again at CCV...

There is not really any one reason we return it is the whole thing....for me it feels like home like Doc said....everything stays the same and you feel good when you set foot on the landing....my last trip was in May 06 went 3 times in a row 6 months apart....but got invited to go on the Aggressor next year and that's big bucks....so it may be late next year or 2008 before I go back :-(..

Thanks. Sounds like it might be that "One Particular Harbor." :D

divingjd:
Thanks. Sounds like it might be that "One Particular Harbor." :D

Yes you are correct about that....also it is one of the last "Banana Republics" that song says it all

Doc has asked some of us to chime in so here goes.

I just returned from a trip to CCV with my family. We are two divers and two non-divers. The non-divers said that they had a good time but it was their first trip to CCV. By good time, they mean casual setting to relax, read some books and magazines, snorkle, and do a few of the island activities such as canopy tour and horseback riding. Of course, Doc may be right, and after multiple trips, they may find it boring.

I like underwater photography so I appreciate Roatan's ample wide angle opportunities along with their outstanding macro subjects. The south side reefs, while not pristine, do not exhibit the amount of damage seen elsewhere in the Carribean. Yes, the tops tend to be brown, but it is from a good crop of symbiotic zooxanthellae instead of algae as seen on so many other stressed reefs. Gold Chain Reef, a regular CCV dive spot, has two spurs that are supporting a healthy (at least for now) thicket of staghorn coral. Unfortunately, you wont see this often in the Carribean now.

Some people have raised the issue of a lack of medium to large size fish but I know they are there. The algae as I mentioned before, is being kept in check by the grazers including the fish. While not what I would call abundant, I have also seen many of the larger predators such as grouper, snapper, jacks, and eagle rays on my trips to CCV.

CCV is one of those resorts where you can tell it has evolved to maximze "form equals function". It is from start to finish a "dive resort". I love the Honduran mahogany construction and the unashamed resort feel. It is not a 5 star anything BUT it is one of the best layed out dive resorts that I have visited. I simply love the casual atmosphere and the ease of diving.

CCV makes it easy to do 5-6 dives a day and the nearby reefs will make you want to....

Thanks. We will have at least two people looking to dive their brains out, so the accessibility of diving is very appealing. When we are doing this kind of trip, we don't need anything fancy, although something clean, functional, and reasonably nice would be good. We stayed at the Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac this year and really liked it. The rooms are kind of motel-ish and the resort is nothing fancy, but the food was reasonably good, the dive operation was excellent, and they took good care of us. We really liked AKR and Roatan diving (including several south side dives) a couple of years ago, but the prices have gone up a lot and the shore diving at CCV is appealing. Appreciate your feedback!

We are heading there for the first time in three weeks. Can't wait! Thanks for the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom