Coco View vs Reef House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I spent a week at RHR this past February. I thought I wrote something up here when we got back, but maybe not (I still need to do my TA review). In any case, we had a GREAT time at RHR. Davey and his wife run a very laid-back and simple resort that caters to those folks who would rather relax and dive in a casual way with 6-10 other people, rather than the "scuba camp" (as someone else called it) mentality offered at CCV. Not that there's anything wrong with that; it's just not our cup of tea.

The resort is very small and is being updated slowly but consistently. It's also located on a Cay, so the driver takes you from the airport to a dock area, and then you take a short 5 minute boat ride to the resort. Remember that you are on an island in a third-world country, so things like power outages and lack of running water for a few hours a couple of times a week are pretty normal. No big deal though. Food was prepared fresh and was very good. Meals are family style so you get to know the folks who are staying there with you, and we lucked out as everyone was great and there to have a good, relaxing time diving.

As for the diving, Davit and Choco make a great team, and Davit is an amazing DM with his knack for finding the small stuff. In all honesty, sometimes I felt as though he was more interested in finding and spearing the lionfish we encountered, but all in all, he not only led us on great dives, but was able to point out nudibranches and sea horses on almost every one. The boat was in good shape and very comfortable for the amount of divers we had (I think 12 was our max one day). We did 2 dives in the morning (boat left the dock around 9am), came back to the resort for lunch, and then there was a 1-tank dive in the afternoon for those interested. Every dive site was no more than a 15 minute boat ride from the resort. We also did a night dive while we were there off the house dock. A little difficult getting through the shallow coral heads, but once you were at the wall (about 50 yards), the diving was spectacular.

My wife and I like the laid-back, quiet, easy-going dive resorts (we like Cobalt Coast Resort in Grand Cayman if that helps "define" our type), so RHR fit us to a "t". The owners are extremely catering to whatever you need (for example, my wife's computer needed a new CR2032 battery and Davey's wife literally took a boat to the "store" to pick one up for us), and we will definitely stay there again if we ever get back to Roatan.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom