Cocoview 2016 Summer Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pictures. What kind of rig are you using?

I have a reservation for CCV next December which would be my first time there. One thing I notice in all of the shots you took (which are stunning) is that there are really no fish to be seen. This appears to be most apparent in the shots that show large portions of walls with surrounding open water. Is the fish population very sparse there? The reason I ask is a trip for the 3 of us including airfare will be almost 7k and aside from the frogfish and tiny shrimp I dont see anything in the photos I havent seen in Bonaire.

I spent a week @ Co Co View 07/2005, fish life was essentially 'extinct' even back then, I'm guessing the locals fished it empty LONG ago, and did a darn good job of it! I didn't regret the trip, still had fun, but I have never returned there. The ONLY dive I did while there that was excellent in terms of water clarity, fish (and shark) life was the extra charge off site (and well offshore) 'shark' dive with 'Waihuka Adventure'....THIS dive was the sort of diving I'd expected and hoped for...it was sad how much this single dive stood in stark contrast to the dives @ Co Co View.

Last edited:
I spent a week @ Co Co View 07/2005, fish life was essentially 'extinct' even back then, I'm guessing the locals fished it empty LONG ago, and did a darn good job of it! I didn't regret the trip, still had fun, but I have never returned there. The ONLY dive I did while there that was excellent in terms of water clarity, fish (and shark) life was the extra charge off site (and well offshore) 'shark' dive with 'Waihuka Adventure'....THIS dive was the sort of diving I'd expected and hoped for...it was sad how much this single dive stood in stark contrast to the dives @ Co Co View.

While I wouldn't say it's extinct, but if you are looking for fish and "big critters" CCV may indeed be disappointing. At west end and bay, there are probably more fish to be seen, I can't speak for the north side of the island.
CCV is a great macro spot though and night diving is easy as pie with lots of critters roaming.

Great to share info on these threads so divers can find what they are looking for (take that, Bono!)

While I wouldn't say it's extinct, but if you are looking for fish and "big critters" CCV may indeed be disappointing. At west end and bay, there are probably more fish to be seen, I can't speak for the north side of the island.
CCV is a great macro spot though and night diving is easy as pie with lots of critters roaming.

Great to share info on these threads so divers can find what they are looking for (take that, Bono!)

Honestly I was astonished at how 'fishless' CCV was....but most of the Caribbean is, sadly, just as fished out. Yeah, the reefs are still there....but the fish are gone!

Honestly I was astonished at how 'fishless' CCV was....but most of the Caribbean is, sadly, just as fished out. Yeah, the reefs are still there....but the fish are gone!
When you say fishless and mostly the Caribbean is, do you consider CCV to be as "fishy" as Bonaire? From the videos it didnt look even close and I have watched quite a few. CCV is somewhat expensive and I am trying to decide if we would be better served using these funds for a trip to St. Croix or possibly a liveaboard like the Avalon. Boniare is the only place we have travelled and loved it immensely. We are going to Coz in Nov for 10 days so we are excited to see the differences.

@ddawson, really cool and beautiful pics, thanks for sharing! I've been a dry land amateur photographer for years but just tried my hand at underwater photography on a recent dive trip. That's a whole new skillset there, really made me appreciate what it takes to get shots like yours.

most of the Caribbean is, sadly, just as fished out
I've only been diving a couple of years really and have only visited Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, and St Kitts & Saba in the Caribbean. Of those, I'd agree with your statement in regards to Jamaica but definitely not the other two. Maybe in comparison to Indonesia or the likes? Can't say there since I haven't been (yet).

I am trying to decide if we would be better served using these funds for a trip to St. Croix or possibly a liveaboard like the Avalon
Having recently returned from a week on the Caribbean Explorer II (St Kitts-Saba-St Martin), I'd highly recommend giving them a look. (I plan to do a trip report as some point but haven't had the time as yet.) If you take advantage of their "off season" rates (we went Sept 10-17), it's only $1500 and they offer 27 dives. My son and I did 25 of those and saw everything from sharks, rays, and turtles to jelly fish, squid, octopuses, and even a couple of seahorses, not to mention tons of "just fish."

When you say fishless and mostly the Caribbean is, do you consider CCV to be as "fishy" as Bonaire? From the videos it didnt look even close and I have watched quite a few. CCV is somewhat expensive and I am trying to decide if we would be better served using these funds for a trip to St. Croix or possibly a liveaboard like the Avalon. Boniare is the only place we have travelled and loved it immensely. We are going to Coz in Nov for 10 days so we are excited to see the differences.

Bonaire was definitely more 'fishy' than CCV. CCV was definitely much easier diving, they do have a very well-oiled diving machine in place, so overall it's low-effort. Bonaire is a lot more work to actually 'go' diving, (the endless tank/lead/gear lugging, loading, unloading, climb over/across rough 'iron shore'......but much more fish life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom