Cold Water Immersion And Benefits Of Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My older son and his family took a vacation to Norway in the winter and became a believer after taking a cold water plunge . He does jiu jitsu and is in the prime of his life but always looking for better health through diet and exercise . He bought a freezer and some apparatus and made a ice cold water plunge and a one person steam sauna to boot . It is becoming the latest craze and thought to discuss more of it on this cool forum . Goodtime Rumdumb

My older son and his family took a vacation to Norway in the winter and became a believer after taking a cold water plunge . He does jiu jitsu and is in the prime of his life but always looking for better health through diet and exercise . He bought a freezer and some apparatus and made a ice cold water plunge and a one person steam sauna to boot . It is becoming the latest craze and thought to discuss more of it on this cool forum . Goodtime Rumdumb
There are people who say there are health benefits to cold-water plunges, but since being cold while diving comes with its own set of risks, it would not be advisable to combine the two.

Best regards,
DDM

Being exposed to this practice in the upper part of Minnesota where there was a community of Finlanders that did it during the winter. As DDM mentioned , combining the two 9 cold water immersion and a sauna would create a major problem with your gas/body relationship. Now doing it of the off days to recover from heavy physical work/play it has been used by athletes for a while. I personally don't like he cold but living in Minnesota for 40 years most of my diving was done in Cold water. The closest experience I have had to this practice was having a blown zipper on my drysuit and having to continue teaching my class and safely crawl out of the water to drain the water from my suit.

My son works at a "Norse" spa, and he convinced me to come for a morning with him. Steam, sauna, and cold plunge, awaited me. The steam and sauna I love, but the 8C cold plunge pool, made me realise, the drysuit I dive in every week, is a wonderful thing indeed, as my local waters, are 8C in the winter.

also, being originally from russia with strong traditions of finnish sauna, nothing feels better than a snow/ice water plunge. agreed about placebo and humans though :) i remember looking for peered reviewed articles on benefits of sauna and did not find any. If anyone knows of any - lmk pls

also, being originally from russia with strong traditions of finnish sauna, nothing feels better than a snow/ice water plunge. agreed about placebo and humans though :) i remember looking for peered reviewed articles on benefits of sauna and did not find any. If anyone knows of any - lmk pls
Just because it feels good should be reason enough. Plus it's something active you can do in the cold, much better than sitting around even if there aren't additional benefits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom