Cold Water Wreck SM - Tank Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Everyone,

I am looking for advice on new tanks.

Type of Diving: Wreck Penetration - 100-130 ft
Water Temp: 50F-65F
SM System: Hollis SMS 75
Exposure Suit - Hollis DX-300X (a few months out of the year 7mm Bare Reactive)
Undergarment: 200g or 400g

I have been told by a few that LP95 LP104 would be a good choice for cold water SM, but I was hoping to stay away from an 8 inch diameter tank.

I have read that HP100 are something to stay away from as they dont trim out as well. I am sure that is personal opinion?

Hope that information helps you guide me to the right decision.

Well I just feel like it would be more comfortable with thinner tanks. I am only 5'9 160 lbs. Not much of a wing span. But I will take any advice you got.

you're diving in salt so I would avoid Fabers out of personal preference. HP100's trim out fine depending on what trim parameters you are looking for and which 100's you get.

Worthington 100's sink like bricks and behave like LP104's, PST 100's are nice and in the middle and Faber FX100's trim a little lighter in the tail. You are diving dry so it doesn't really matter.

Tank diameter doesn't matter if you have the tanks far back like they are supposed to be, so I wouldn't avoid 8" tanks for that reason, I'd avoid them for others. What you don't mention is how long you want to be down, what safety margins you cut, and whether or not you can get big fills in LP tanks. If you can't get big fills in LP tanks, then search for HP tanks. I would personally try to find HP100's at your size if that is enough gas for you. Worthingtons will allow you to take a lot of lead off, Fabers you have to be careful about rusting but will likely trim the best, and PST's are the best balance imho

I was satisfied with my PST 104s in a whites fusion and 8 lbs in my nomad but I'm a big guy so the tanks didn't seem that big. They are definatally heavy out of the water.

I've said many times before that HP 100's are some of the most versatile ranks around. I've had PST's for many years, great tanks. Just a point, you can choose the tanks according to your particulars (diameter, trim etc) but ensure that your dive profiles will work with your tanks capacity.

Hp100s or the older worthington lp85s are basically comparable buoyancy (both heavy). But for deeper [enetrations in cold water there's not much gas. hp130s are surprisingly good with trimix. I haven't used them (SM) with nitrox. What is your SAC rate and how long are you planning on being down?

ps if you are using 200gm undies that is not "cold" lol

Thanks for the info.

I am getting ready to do my PADI Tec 40 and 45.

And will continue down the tec courses. So wanted the right tanks for light deco diving. I will also have a deco bottle AL 40 which my SMS75 and drysuit as redundant buoyancy should be more than fine to carry that load.

So for bottom time I am unsure as I haven't gone tec yet

Why you don't get 300Bar carbon bottles ?

Pst 100 bottles are some of the best sidemount bottles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom