Compact equipment suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you live in socal, support local business and buy Deep Sea Supply for your backplates. They're the most compact bc's out there...

And your 12 y/o son won't grow out of his BP (assuming you buy a size with his growth in mind). He'll just have to let the webbing straps out as he gets bigger.

Well, good luck with the FFM, especially while on Asian travel. Sanitizing and handling are difficult.
Look at the Cressi TravelLight or Ultralight BCD and Hollis F2 fins. Pretty much the lightest, smallest stuff on the market.
Thanks for the suggestions, the Hollis F2 fins look pretty cool.

FFM??? I don't know of any recreational divers who use FFB in their regular sport diving especially traveling divers. I don't know why at your level.
Personal preference, nothing more.

And your 12 y/o son won't grow out of his BP (assuming you buy a size with his growth in mind). He'll just have to let the webbing straps out as he gets bigger.
Good point, that is something we should be thinking about. Thanks!

FFM??? I don't know of any recreational divers who use FFB in their regular sport diving especially traveling divers. I don't know why at your level.
I've seen them rarely, so it's not like it doesn't ever happen. But if I remember my review of the manual of one, there are a lot of things you need to do that are different than a typical diver does, so you should get someone appropriately qualified to show you all those things and make sure all of you can do them in the water.

Also, if you got wristwatch sized computers with hoseless air integration, your setup would be more compact than having a hose coming off your 1st stages with some kind of console on the end.

I love my Oceanic Atom 3.0 w/AI, and for recreational single tank diving, using it means that my 1st stage has 3 hoses (primary, octo, and inflator) plus the AI transmitter. That's about as compact as that would get (short of using a Safe Second instead of a regular octo, which I would not do, anyway, but you really can't with a FFM for a primary).

As has been noted, you can get a computer that has a built in compass, so no extra room needed for a separate one. But, if you go with a computer that doesn't have a compass, I like the DGX Tech compass, using the bungees to mount it on the back of my right hand.

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express®

Diving single tank, recreational dives, with a BP, a small wing and no console hanging off me or any kind of hose coming around my left side (except the inflator over my left shoulder) is very nice. For many dives, I don't feel any need to even take a compass in the water, so having one that is its own separate device (versus an extra instrument in a console) is nice. I can leave it topside when I feel like it.

Ocean Reef Neptune Space G FFM with integrated 2nd stages.
(added the Surface Air Valve, Quick Release hoses, and communications to the masks)

Ocean Reef SL 35 First Stages

Aqualung ABS Octos

I don't understand why you would use a full-face mask, particularly for travel, but you must have your reasons. They are, among other things, bulky; I will try to help in other areas.

What we are looking for:

BCDs - considering the Aqualung Zuma, thoughts?

I've looked at travel BCs, and been part of some discussions about them, and ultimately have come to the conclusion that my Deep Sea Supply backplate combined with a travel wing (my present wing is a little bulky) is going to be smaller yet more capable. I use a weight belt, it packs smaller than pockets.

SPG + Compass - considering the XS Scuba Pressure Gauge and Compass

Can't really find much reviews on this unit, but it interest us because it seems compact.

Compasses that are fairly flat will work only if held horizontal or nearly so, which is hard to do, particularly in poor visibility. Having the compass be part of the SPG limits how you can hold it and requires you to use a longer SPG hose.

Deluxe Pro Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express®

You can save space and weight by keeping the SPG hose short (26"), and using a wrist mount compass. You do not need a thermometer in your SPG because you have one in your dive computer. A small SPG is sufficient.

Thin SPG, Naked | Dive Gear Express®

Dive Computers - considering the Aqualung i300 wrist mount, thoughts?

Looks OK and reasonably priced. You could get an Oceanic Geo 3.0, which is what I have. I believe it's a little bit smaller.

Exposure Suits - planning to go with Carapace, thoughts?

My thought is that they're expensive. If you're hard to fit, you may not have any alternative. Over time most divers end up with several exposure suits for varying conditions, so consider the cost closely.

For warm-water dives I use a Neosport 3/2 wetsuit that cost under $100. I have colder water wetsuits the most expensive of which was like $300.

Fins - planning to replace our training fins with Aqualung Hotshots, thoughts?

My tastes run towards large fins because I find myself fighting currents and crossing large distances. Most divers choose smaller fins than I do, especially for travel.

I would avoid fins like the Hotshots that have a mechanical joint.

For warm water diving, you can use full foot fins that do not require wet boots. Less bulk and your gear will dry faster. Use lycra socks, or neoprene socks, to avoid blisters, and size the fins accordingly

Does anyone have any thoughts on the items we are looking for, better suggestions, more compact gear? What are we missing?

Fins, BC, and wetsuit+boots+gloves are ordinarily the bulkiest part of the gear. Not much you can do about wetsuit bulk so work on the other two

If you like the FFM, fine, but leave it at home if bulk is a major concern

You will want at least some safety items. Mirror, whistle, safety sausage, light

I've been using Cressi TraveLight BCD & Aqualung HotShot fins for 3 years now. They are light & compact.

Questions:
How do you equalize you ears & defogging FFM underwater?

Last edited:
As far as bcds go, Oceanic makes a good travel bc called the Biolite. I almost bought one but I wanted storage pockets so I went with the Oceanic Excursion Dive Master QLR4 and I love it, super comfortable and very well made. Both bcds are back inflate. Of course, if you have a local dive store buying from them would make servicing easier.

I've been using Cressi TraveLight BCD & Aqualung HotShot fins for 3 years now. They are light & compact.

Questions:
How do you equalize you ears & defogging FFM underwater?

I assume that's a real question not a sarcastic one? FFM's have a nose block in the front that you adjust to fit you. You push the mask in and up against your face and equalize that way. Have to be careful with descent rates.

Most FFM's have routing in them for defogging so when you inhale part of the breath is diverted up against the lens like a defroster in your car

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom